First North Shore dive of the season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitedragon13:
Just got back from Shark's Cove; my first dive up there since Aug/Sep. Beautiful!

What were the conditions? We've been chomping at the bit to get back up there - but I wouldn't have thought the surf was flat enough yet.

It was O-1, with an infrequent 2. Vis inside the cove was maybe 10' but outside the mouth, it was probably 40-60 or so. Wanted to dive this weekend, but maybe I should grab the stick instead. Looks like 6+, yeah?

whitedragon13:
Just got back from Shark's Cove; my first dive up there since Aug/Sep. Beautiful!

Last weekend it was awesome too!! 0-1 on Saturday also with no surge/current or people. Figured it would be super crowded, but we were the only divers at 8am. We dove SC the end of March also, not as great, but definitely divable. We went in SC and came out Firehouse on that one. Glad you had a great dive. We dove the trench on Sunday and got to see a Hawaiian Monk Seal (8ft). Don't know where we will be diving this weekend, but it will be somewhere even if it is in the tub.

Speaking of Shark's Cove, does anyone know anything about a possible plane wreck within swimming distance between SC and the firehouse? I shared the shower with a local solo guy a few years ago and he mentioned having just come back from exploring a partial wreck that he had spotted while overflying the area in a private. I think he said it was the wing off of a WWII vintage 4-engine job; upside-down. He wasn't very specific but it sounded like a 400yd swim or more straightout from the lagoon. I've been diving that area since the mid 60's and never heard of such a thing. But having a wreck out there wouldn't be too surprising since the Haleiwa and Kahuku airfields (long closed) are nearby.

Back
Top Bottom