First official SS meeting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Tonight we had the first OFFICIAL SS team meeting.

The seven of us got together and discussed what is going on and what is expected and what our time frame is.

The Sheriff what there at the beginning and said he is aggressively working on the ROV funding.

Anyhow it looks like the boat will be back from the coast in about 4 weeks. So far there are no problems with the modifications. Then the serious training starts.

Right now the team is made up of One retired civilian who is in the CG Aux., an active diver and known by most of us for several years (30 for me).

A prior Reserve Deputy who is a somewhat recent retired Navy Master Diver. He worked with the earlier version of this unit in the Navy.

A Patrol Deputy who is super good with electronics and GPS systems. He is a prior Marine Deputy.

A Patrol Deputy who is a Computer and Toy Geek. He is one of the newer Dive Team Members and a prior Marine Deputy.

A Patrol Sergeant who has been a Marine Deputy and Dive Team member in the past.

And a Prior Navy Diver, Prior Marine Deputy, Dive Team member and Patrol Deputy, Me.

The seventh is the Marine Division Sgt. who gets to catch all the crap when we screw up. :D

What it boils down to is most of us know diving, boat handling and a variety of other specialties. Each one should complement the other.

Each search will consist of three on the boat. A boat operator, a SS operator and a relief for rotation to keep from burning out. We will train so the three can be made up from any mixture of the 6.

We will have our dive gear onboard but if we get a target that needs recovery the Dive Team will be called out. The boat crew will not normally make the dive. That will not be set in stone but will just be the normal operation plan.

So until the next meeting we need to do a lot of reading.

It has taken a lot of years but I’m still in a daze that it is actually becoming a reality.

Gary D.

Very cool Gary!!

It's nice to see the fruits of your hard work come to be. Good luck in your continued endevor.

Yotsie:
Very cool Gary!!

It's nice to see the fruits of your hard work come to be. Good luck in your continued endevor.
I didn't do the hard work. The guy that did was pulled off the SS team because of two many irons in the fire. Had it not been for my #2 we still may not have this thing.

But if he were accidently hand cuffed to the boat he just might have to go. :D

I was expecting him to be there running things. Bummer.

Gary D.

Gary :

I am a llittle confused I thought yuo were already on a active team and not only that I thought you were the team leader.

I gather this is not the case and you are still in the planning stage with this team.

or is this a new team your departmnet is trying to put in the water.

Sparky

sparkyjames:
Gary :

I am a llittle confused I thought yuo were already on a active team and not only that I thought you were the team leader.

I gather this is not the case and you are still in the planning stage with this team.

or is this a new team your departmnet is trying to put in the water.

Sparky
Hi Sparky

This is a team within the team that is not really the Dive Team even though it is. :D

At first the SS was going to be run by the Dive Team. But we rotate to many people through it. So it was decided from the top that the SS operation will have it's own specialized SS Team. Thats it just a team within a team made up of both Dive Team members and non Dive Team members.

I AM NOT the team leader and DO NOT want that position. I'm just the senior diver and handle all the equipment. :D

Gary D.

Gary,

Good to hear the SS is moving along... Am bummed I can't be a part of it but... Thats how it goes!!

And yes, things are good in blue.. :)

Im trying to follow this thread.... What does SS stand for? Are you guys segregating A team and B team on your dive teams? Just curious, We have about 15 divers on our team, 8 of us are very active and participate on every search, so it is I guess a team within a team, but I wouldnt really give us a different title... Ive dove alot but new to ICS so Im just trying to follow what it is exactly yall are doin in the No. part of our state. :)
Clay (Bingham County SAR)

<sniff> Gary gets all the good toys.

We're getting new drysuits!

AND Steel tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom