First Post & Need Specific Info on Carribean Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bugswife

Reaction score
Hi,
I usually get all of my travel info at fodor's travel talks, but after just discovering this board I am thrilled. I do not dive, only snorkel, but my husband has over 200 dives under his belt. He has been on 3 week live aboards to Palau, Truk, Yap (twice). Has also dove Cozumel, Cancun, Aruba, Costa Rica, Bonaire, Belize, Dominica, Zanzibar, Tahiti, Grand Cayman, and probably others that I can't remember. I have accompanied on most of these trips to snorkel.

We are planning a diving trip at the end of June to anywhere in the Carribean. Here is the criteria. Can anybody help?

Beach accomodations, luxury--but not super expensive. Sandy beach.
Snorkel off the beach (for moi)
Better than the average 'resort' diving for jaded Mr. Bug
Good food is very important, all inclusive is not.
Some night life would be appreciated.

And, if that were not enough, I am super freaked out about him diving in rough currents and very deep water. I mean, really freaked. So, if there are any great locations without these two things I would be totally appreciative.

Thanks! Can't wait to get into the swing of things here!

well,
best of luck with the criteria...I've been diving several times in the Bahamas, but maybe I don't have suggestions that will suit all your requests.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

smilies-41093.png

You'll get better answers on the Caribe and Cent Amer forums...

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP above to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Hope you're enjoying the board okay...? :D

I would recommend Aruba, because it offers excellent diving and excellent snorkelling. I dove several great sites that are also popular snorkelling sites, including a 400' wreck which is 45' deep at its deepest, but much of the wreck is almost at the surface, including one portion that actually sticks out of the water. I was lots of snorkellers there, and at a shallow reef.

Most of the diving was in little to no current at 40' to 60' and the deepest dive offered was 90'. I dove with Pelican Watersports and they were a very thorough and safety-oriented operation.

Aruba is a cute little island with enough to keep you interested topside, provided you're the type that likes to combine sightseeing with serious relaxing/chillin' beach time. Didn't do any nightlife because that's not my thing, but I've heard the nightlife is quite good.

I stayed with Holiday Inn Sunspree. Food was decent *for an all-inclusive* but if food is a big deal best to stay at another place that isn't all-inclusive. There is a lot of choice in Aruba.

Have fun!
Katy

Hmmm... let's look down your list.

Beach accomodations, luxury--but not super expensive. Sandy beach. - Akumal
Snorkel off the beach (for moi) - Bonaire
Better than the average 'resort' diving for jaded Mr. Bug - Saba
Good food is very important, all inclusive is not. - Akumal, Cozumel, Bonaire, others...
Some night life would be appreciated. - Cozumel

And, if that were not enough, I am super freaked out about him diving in rough currents and very deep water. I mean, really freaked. So, if there are any great locations without these two things I would be totally appreciative. Akumal, Bonaire

Good luck with your list!
Rick

Back
Top Bottom