First post of 2003

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
ok, getting tired of watching football...

Here's a photo from Cocos...

Here's a little Frogfish from Bonaire. The lighting isn't that great but it makes kind of a neat effect.

Frogfish3.jpg

My Frogfish is sort of out soft focused but I was excited to find him!...Roatan, CCV Wall, 79ft

abo.sized.jpg

In fact they're all pretty damn good!

How long had you guys been diving before you did an underwater photography course (or are you self-taught)?

Cheers

scuba_katt once bubbled...
In fact they're all pretty damn good!

How long had you guys been diving before you did an underwater photography course (or are you self-taught)?

Cheers

I was a photogrpher before I started diving. But underwater photography is different enough that there was alot to learn. I'm pretty much self taught in that I've had very little instruction but I do lread alot.

I wouldn't suggest it to others, but I did my very first OW dive with a camera in my hand. And there have been very few dives since then that I didn't have a camera of some sort in hand.

I'm pretty much self taught as well. I've gotten some hints/tips from people, but most of my "training" comes from trial and error. I did take a UW photo class after I had been taking UW photos for several years. I did learn a few things about composition, but most of the info was directed more at beginners.

The biggest tip I learned was to get close to your subject, then get closer. I found my pics improved a lot once I started shooting Macro. Even the non-macro shots are better because I naturally get closer to the subject than I did before I shot macro.

scuba_katt,

Thanks for the compliment. Self-taught and still self-teaching. I found the 2 most important things are:

- get close (just like normaldiver recommends)
- usually you want to get as much light as possible on the subject (i.e., one strobe is OK but 2 is better) unless you are trying to silouette something between you and the surface an opening with a lot of light.

The other thing you aren't seeing (at least with those of us that are still shooting only film) is the number of shots that end up in the trash can :)

And I guess there is actually a 3rd important thing:

- shoot multiple pictures of the same subject (if you can) from different angles and using different f-stops.

That is about the total of my limited data base.

Rickg

Back
Top Bottom