Question First Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aangaroo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I know this topic has been discussed multiple times but I am having a really hard time deciding on a regulator (or whether to even get one).

The first system I am considering is the DGX D6 system simply for the value at $470 for everything, the price point is unbeatable.

The other option is picking out and building a new regulator from my LDS. I know the people at the shop and they have been very good to me and I have purchased multiple specialty courses from them, but buying an all new regulator from them would cost 2x the DGX system. This amount of price difference is too much for me in most cases.

Finally, since I basically only dive on vacation (maybe between 4-6 dive trips per year? with each trip averaging 3ish days of diving) and maybe a few times locally per year, should I even own a regulator? I would love to hear some thoughts and opinions.

I usually don’t comment on threads like this because the truth is a regulator is a very simple device and mostly, any decent regulator that’s well maintained will do the job just fine.

I have only bought one new regulator in my 25 year diving career, and that was a MK2/R190 shortly out of OW class at the shop where I trained. A year later, after using it on maybe 30 dives, I brought it in for the first annual service, and that ended up costing more than half of what I spent on the regulator, and it worked noticeably worse after service. From then on I decided to learn to work on my own regulators and have since been diving on used regs and maintaining them myself. Many of these regulators are 30-40 years old and I use them in technical diving.

I’m sure the DGX set up is more than adequate, and you can get it serviced when it shows signs of deterioration, not on an annual schedule. It’s a good idea to set yourself up with a way of inspecting and testing the regulator at home; basically what you need for that is an IP gauge, a tank, and the ability to follow some simple instructions.

Local shops vary widely in their service; it’s great that you have a good relationship with yours, but spending close to $1,000 for a regulator and then paying annually to service it after a few trips is just not something I personally would do. I’m cheap and I enjoy doing mechanical things.

You'd have to answer a few questions IMO. Is the cost a burden to your budget? How often do you dive? Does the stock mouthpiece ever bother you/is it comfortable? Do you plan on diving for many many years?

If cost is a factor, the one you have chosen is a great solution. So many regs are manufactured by just a few companies nowadays. Two different brands can have virtually identical guts.

If you dive a lot, then you should absolutely buy your own. Adding up rental costs will let you know where the break point is.

With your own reg, you can install a form fitted mouthpiece. I did this many years ago and it made diving much more enjoyable.

If this is a sport you plan on staying with, get your own. If it's a passing fad for you, just rent.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a regulator if I didn't already own a computer. I would much rather rent a regulator and use my own computer than the other way around.

Don't forget that regulators need to be serviced. The service kits for some regulators can be double or more than the cost of the service kit for other regulators. I would look at the service kit price and consider that when calculating the cost of different regulators over time. Also, consider the cost of the service labor when deciding whether to buy at all or not.

I would prioritize the purchase of a decent regulator, any day, over rentals or dive computers, since they are far more likely to last longer than electronics, and most rental fleets nowadays are absolute crap and poorly if ever maintained, especially in the stickier parts of the world -- and while I still have some great regulators over forty years old, which still see use, I have "scuttled" over a dozen or more computers since the early 1990s . . .

I would prioritize the purchase of a decent regulator over any dive computer, since they are far more likely to last longer than electronics -- and while I still have some great regulators over forty years old, I have scuttled over a dozen or more computers since the early 1990s . . .
I agree, the regulator is likely to last far longer than the computer.

But nearly every computer I have ever rented has been a single button computer, which I personally hate. And you likely won't have a way to save your dive log other than writing it down.

If it weren't for the fact that I use a necklace and longer primary hose, if I rented a regulator I would likely forget I was using a rental regulator once under water.

What is the other regulator you were considering? Honestly, there is little reason to spend a ton on a first regulator. My primary reg is top of the line from a well established manufacturer, and still not twice the price you mentioned for the DGX. They'll last a good long time with some care. My daughter dives one from the same brand that is around 20 years old.

As mentioned, consider service. If you aren't planning on servicing yourself, then you may want to consider a brand that your LDS services.

I suggest you to buy online from Europe. No import tax for regulators into US. Much better prices.
Stay on top international brands which are sold and serviced all around the world: Scubapro, Apeks, Poseidon, Mares.
Same for service kits, buy them online from Europe and do the service yourself.
See this package, for example:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom