First thread by an old fart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey DIR I like it. Im 55 started diving to long ago. I still get wet allmost every week. They didnt have a DIR class back in my day. Its great to know that some of the old ways of diving are still around. I still get a lot of looks from young divers when i show up on a chater with my doubles, drysuit, Jet fins, and canister light. I could never be DIR because of some old habits that id nevery give up. But i have a few gand kinds that are going to be getting in to diving and i think DIR is the way to go. Im just curious when was DIR started.

Check out www.gue.com

The people who were involved in the WKPP (cave mapping/exploring in FL) took the Hogarthian rig setup, refined it, dived it, refined it again and eventually came up with the system we now know as DIR. I'm not sure when it actually came about.

Mark

Been trying to figure out what DIR is for the past week or so, And yes , I should of just asked... Thankfully "sharkmasterbc"s previous this post has just answered all my newbie questions. I looked at the www.gue.com site and found out heaps. (i knew i'd finally find out if i kept reading everyones posts.) Dont ya just love this site....!

HiyaFitzy
Shop_in_sydney_www.divesydney.com.au_stock_all_the_haylcon_gear_and_run_DIrf_and_tech1_courses_als_have_a_store_at_bondi_go_and_check_em_out

Yeah, prob a broken space bar.. :)

maccajim:
HiyaFitzy
Shop_in_sydney_www.divesydney.com.au_stock_all_the_haylcon_gear_and_run_DIrf_and_tech1_courses_als_have_a_store_at_bondi_go_and_check_em_out

Holy_cow_is_this_hard_to_read_or_what?

eastcoastdiver:
Hey DIR I like it. Im 55 started diving to long ago. I still get wet allmost every week. They didnt have a DIR class back in my day. Its great to know that some of the old ways of diving are still around. I still get a lot of looks from young divers when i show up on a chater with my doubles, drysuit, Jet fins, and canister light. I could never be DIR because of some old habits that id nevery give up. But i have a few gand kinds that are going to be getting in to diving and i think DIR is the way to go. Im just curious when was DIR started.

I recall reading an article back in '94 about DIR. I seem to recall that due an increasing number of deaths or accidents in caves in Florida the state was considering banning diving in them. GI3 apparently worked out an agreement to keep the caves open at least to a group of people who assured they would "do it right". Do it right involved safety procedures i.e. planning, gas management, buddy skills and all the things that were the basis of what we now know as DIR diving. No haphazard hop in the water go diving and see how things turn out.

Disclaimer: This is my recollection of an article I read 10 years ago in some magazine related to diving or possibly mailed to me by someone. If the details are incorrect please do two things 1.) forgive me I'm old and have slept since I read that article 2.) Please provide the accurate information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom