First time in Bonaire - Night dive and restaurant questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with diversteve: We do all our night diving from the pier at the resort. Safe, convenient, easy access, lighted shoreline and dip tanks.
Heading out to a desolate site for a night dive makes no sense to me at all. Make sure you plan your first night dive early in the trip because you are going to want to go every night after that as well.

At Buddy dive, there is a rectangular pipe hoohaw for buoyancy checking exercises straight out from the dock at the drop off at about 35 ft. You can use it for a reference as to when to turn back in. The direction you take out from the drop off should depend on the current ( if there is any ) rather than whether you want to go to La Machaca. The shore and night diving from Buddy Reef and Habitat is good both directions.

The Rumba Grill in town is a real treat. Good food, reasonable prices and an ocean view. We usually have coffee and gelato in the little shop on the main street after dinner ( Gio's ? ). Doesn't get any better.

Mi Banana is good as well. Family run establishment. The place is a dump but the food, service and people are lovely so worth the lack of ambiance. The Fish Burger there is exceptional. We were there one night and saw a big table of dive masters all ordering them, so we tried too. Fresh wahoo; yum. They also do basic grilled chicken and beef dishes with a Colombian twist. Never had a bad meal there.

Bobbe Jans, in town is a small BBQ in a converted house open Friday-Sunday only. Very laid back. Pretty good ribs and chicken, excellent fries.

Donna and Georgio's does old school Italian pretty well. Reservation required because small and busy. Never personally had meat and potatoes there, but Georgio can do pretty much anything you want. When I was last there, pizza was an issue in that they just did it for lunch and take away but not for dinner.

My family and I are not Pasa Bon fans. We found the place stuffy, tobacco smoke filled and mosquito infested.
Have been there several times over the years but never been impressed. Some Scubaboarders seem to love the place and talk about the best pizza on Bonaire. . In my opinion, the "best pizza on Bonaire" might be comparable to Pizzahut back home.

Another idea for a night dive is Salt Pier which has an easy beach entrance. You can dive it if there is no ship there loading up. It is a great end of the day dive as it is relatively shallow with a lot going critter wise. Dusk diving it would be ideal.

I haven't had all that many restaurant meals on Bonaire, although this is what I can tell you

I was underwhelmed by the pizza at rum runners. Pasa Bon was much better but I don't think I have ever waited so long for a (take-out) pizza anywhere else.

There is a Subway downtown, we grabbed a sandwich there on the way to the airport once, it was about what you would expect.

Thanks everyone! I am fine with diving at night at one of the resorts with a dock, which seems unanimously to be the easiest option, and was a little nervous about the tarpon but am glad to hear they are harmless.

My husband is going to be overjoyed that there is a KFC and this will greatly reduce our dining issues (he usually eats something he likes such as KFC or pizza then goes with me somewhere that I can try something local/different while he has a beer). Since he doesn't eat hamburgers, sandwiches, pasta, anything with sauce, or most vegetables, planning what/where to eat is usually the most difficult part of our vacations.

Has anyone eaten at Joe's Grillhouse? That was the one place the hubs has said he wanted to visit because of the grilled meat.

Only KFC I know of where you can get beer with your yardbird.

This is my note about Joe's Grillhouse from my August Trip report on BT:

Joes Bar and Grill – a new place for us, and it was very good. A gentleman introduced himself as the owner, and Sheldon asked him if his name was Joe. He said no, Bart, so she asked him who Joe was. He said nobody, just sounded better than “Barts Bar and Grill”. They have a sort of children’s play area with various toys behind a glass wall, and a couple of tables positioned so that you can watch them while eating – a nice touch if you have young’uns. I had the wings with spicy sauce for appetizer and they were excellent. We all agreed this was a keeper.

[-]If your squeeze is a burger and fries guy then by all means try Between 2 Buns.
[/-] oops, missed that part of your post.

I got a steak at Patagonia that was really good. You have to be sure to order with "NO SAUCE". Most places that serve meat want to slather a bunch of sauces/reductions/yaddayadda on it, and I'm with your husband - meat with my meat, please.
Of course, with all restaurants Bonaire, things may change...

We are much like your husband (meat and potatoes). We are not seafood eaters (except shrimp). I'm also planning my 6th trip to Bonaire in as many years. You have some good suggestions here. I'd like to reiterate and recommend Bobbie Jans, Rum Runners, Pasa Bon Pizza, Diver's Diner, Fast Eddies, and Unbelievables. I think he will like these places.

Pasa Bon pizza is by far the best pizza on Bonaire. Of course that's sort of like being the tallest midget in the circus. If you like mall pizza or airport pizza or bowling alley pizza or Chuck-E-Cheese... it will be fine. If you like pizza that's actually good, don't bother.

Was on Bonaire again two weeks ago. Favorite restaurants were Wil's and Eddy's. Had a very good burger at Buddy's beach bar, which would be a perfect place to eat after a night dive right there.

There are a lot of options for dining as you can see. For dinner, I prefer to cook it and enjoy it along with some cold Amstel Brights. If you like a nice tasty beer definitely pick some up. The Van Den Tweel supermarket has lots of meat choices along with reasonable prices for food and beer.

The night dive (and the day dive) at Bari Reef is fantastic and very easy. We've always stayed at Sand Dollar or Den Lamen where it is the house reef. Easily, best dive is to the North, right. I believe you must dive with BD&A to use their dock. There is a small beach entry next to the dock used by Dive Friends and visitors. Someone who's been there more recently may have pointers

At night, I would think any dock would be fair game. Can't imagine that BDA would monitor use after hours.
Agree with RJP re Pasa Bon. Not worth the wasted calories. Somehow, pizza in the Caribbean feels wrong, anyway. Try the local cuisine.

I had forgotten about Patagonia, last time I ate there ( over a year ago ) the food was quite good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom