First time to destin. Have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there. Four of us making first trip to destin. Have AOW, Nitrox and have near a hundred dives. can you tell me the 'must do' dive sites? We are booked with scuba tech dive op. Also can you tell me your favorite places to eat, other things you like to do there? Thank you so much.

Must Do sites? you pretty much go where the boat goes ... :D

they typically stay inshore and do sites like the Miss Louise and bridge rubble and a few other sites.

I'd print out the tide table and do the "Destin Jetties". It's a good free dive and if ScubaTech cancels, then a good place to hit that day also (depending on tide times).

Favorite Places to eat?
Red Bar (great Grouper)
Dewey's Destin (bayside, not harbor side) (It's all good)
Capt Dave's. (scallops are great)
Pompano Joes (good tuna dip)

Must Do sites? you pretty much go where the boat goes ... :D

they typically stay inshore and do sites like the Miss Louise and bridge rubble and a few other sites.

I'd print out the tide table and do the "Destin Jetties". It's a good free dive and if ScubaTech cancels, then a good place to hit that day also (depending on tide times).

Favorite Places to eat?

Here's a post from a while back with list of restaurants and some notes about them....

A.J.'s has a nice set-up and decent seafood.
I've never had a really "great" meal at A.J's, but it's a relaxing place to grab a sandwhich and watch the boats come back into the harbor in the afternoon. You can sit inside or sit upstairs on the deck and overlook the harbor. (service upstairs can be slow though).

Dewey's by the Bay
Excellent choice. It's "Fish basket food", but great atmosphere sitting on the dock watching the sun set and great fresh seafood.

Callahan's has great sandwiches.
Everything I've had a Callahans is good.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but many years ago I had a few good meals and good times at Harbor Docks.
It's still there. Food is great but prices are on the high side. It can easily run a couple $70 to $100 bucks to eat there (with drinks, tip, tax, etc). Parking is non-existant, but they have a solution with valet service that works well.... The valet parking is free, but the valets work for tips. So have cash available for valet. Have lots of cash (or credit card) for when you get your dinner bill.

Here's a list I posted over on ST forum a while back..... just cut-n-paste below.

Back Porch is good too. It's owned by the same company that owns Lousiana Laginappe and Pompano Joes. Both of these are good also.

Deweys' Destin that ReefHound mentioned is good also and not high priced, but go with the realization that it's fish basket food. It's still some of the best seafood you can get there. Parking is usually full, but you can always find a place. WHen you get there, get someone in your party to snag a table as quick as you can as they run out. Great place to sit on the dock and watch the sunset. Since you sit on the dock, great place to go after diving.

Other choices that I like:

Capt Daves on the Gulf: they have a great Terriaki Scallops and Mahi Mahi. It's a nicer restaurant with huge glass windows looking over the beach. Located on old hwy 98 at the county line. easy parking across the street.

Pompano Joes: Great food, but their bar isn't that great (they use artificial juices to make their drinks). The Tuna melt there rocks as does the tuna appetizer. They have two grouper dishs there that are great also. Located on the beach on old hwy 98. Parking is terrible here. The parking lot was taken out by Hurricane Ivan and then again the next summer by the next hurricane and they really haven't fixed it yet. Update 2011: parking lot is fixed. still crowded though. Prob more since they fixed the parking lot.

Harbor Docks: Great place to eat, but pricey. Parking is almost non existant and you have to use their valet service, which is free but the drivers work for tips, so have some cash. Dinner for two here will run you $65 to $90 easily If you get the fresh catch, they will often charge you $10 extra for certain meals if you want it "fresh". I think our bill after tipping the valet and the waiter was easily $100 bucks for 2 of us. Though it was good, it wasn't worth that much.

Red Bar: Santa Rosa Beach. Best grouper I've ever had. They only have 5 items on the menu and take only cash. But they are that good. It's worth the drive down there. Definately go again.

Stinkys Fish Camp: what did I say you're asking? yep. that's the name of the place. It's a small square building on 30A in Dune Allen Beach. It doesn't look like much or does their name do them justice. But the food there is GREAT. I would have never tried it if I didn't go there with someone else, but I'll go back. Service was excellent.

WhaleTail: Near Seascape on old hwy98. This place is kinda a dump to be honest with you, but what I like about it is that you can sit out on the deck at a pinic table and eat and watch the sunset and activity on the beach. Compared to other spots, parking is easy and usually not a wait and price is moderate. They tend to not have the "First rate wait staff" either, but It's one of those "what you make of it spots" but I find it relaxing because of sitting on the deck and let the other stuff brush off... Update: as of 2011 it's been rebuilt from scratch... I haven't been since then.

Callahans: Great food, but I heard they've moved from their location on Gulf Shore Drive. THey have pretty good steaks also.

Mellow Mushroom: Pizza and hot sandwiches. I love their pizza..... I usually eat there at least once while in town because we don't have one near us... Hwy 98 up near Gulf Shore Drive.

Other reviews:

Crab Trap: Been there several times and while I've never had a bad meal there, it just wasn't great by any means. fish was always kinda mushy like it'd been kept in a warmer. I can grill better fish than they do and I don't have a $65 bill/check at the end of the night after waiting 1.5 hours just to sit down. just not worth the hassle.

Lucky Snapper: Been there I think twice and it was never great either time. Service was alway mediocore also. Not worth the cost of the meal there.

Fishermans Wharf: on the harbor. Ok, nothing great. DIdn't see a reason for a return visit when you have other better choices. Prob reason that there was plenty of parking there..... hah​

Last edited:
I have used Scubatech on a number of occasions. They have always been great. The diving in Destin is fairly limited to just a small handful of spots. It's not like diving in Bonaire, but it's not quarry diving either. The high light of my trip was seeing a 6-7 Hammerhead shark. Unfortunately it was no where to be found once we got in the water. There is a stretch of restaurants and shops just down from where they dock their boat which is very nice. You will enjoy your trip!

Don't forget McGuire's Irish Pub

I don't know that Destin has a "Must Dive" site, but I'm sure that if one exists, PufferFish can tell us what it is.

There are a few favorite spots in Panama City and two "Must Dive" spots in Pensacola if you're willing to do the drive.

I'll second the Red Bar!!!! Panama City has way more "must Dives" and only 1hr drive....just my two cents! Capt Anderson's Rest - (MUST EAT!!!)...if you come for the Diving!!!!

Just because I have several thousand dives in Destin, does not mean I know every spot...Ok, I know most of them.

It depends on what one wants. For me, if I could only make one dive, it would be White Hill. Problem is, there tends to be a lot of fishing boats on it and the Liberty ship, which is very close to it. Summer weekends, it is unlikely to be able to dive there. Weekdays, it might happen. Sadly, there has been a lot of shark fishing in the area and our friend the 8 ft bull is no longer there.

Here are some locations and what you can expect to see (if you paying very close attention):

White Hill - More frog fish than you can count. Octopus. A dozen or so really big basket star fish (touch one if you want to see something interesting). Bat fish (ok, there are lots of places for them). From time to time: Sharks, flying gurnards and several small tropical grouper species. If you pay really close attention, move slow and have a light: Peppermint shrimp, snapping shrimp, red snapping shrimp, pederson shrimp, Dart fish and the hardest one to get close to, a yellow jaw fish. in addition to all the normal stuff.

Long Reef - More pederson shrimp than you can count, red snapping shrimp, frog fish and lots of fish you can eat. Maybe 10 species of small crab. A Pair of spotfin jaw fish live out in the sand near where the anchor point is, but they are very easily scared. Only place I have found Juvenal frog fish.

Not sure on the name, but I think it is the Janus.. off shore around Miss Louse.. deeper, and a very nice wreck dive.

There are lots of other sites that are nice... Amberjack, the triplets, the place that used to have the logs (easy place to get lost, so they don't go there much). I tend to ignore the names unless they are something special.

The east stack of the rubble pile is nice.. all the rubble piles have lots of octopus.. but there are more fish on the east stack.

Oh, Labor day rock is a very nice dive also..

Don't forget McGuire's Irish Pub

I don't know that Destin has a "Must Dive" site, but I'm sure that if one exists, PufferFish can tell us what it is.

There are a few favorite spots in Panama City and two "Must Dive" spots in Pensacola if you're willing to do the drive.

Back
Top Bottom