First time to Oahu and need dive site recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phanman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have planned my first trip to Oahu for late November and very excited. I'm looking for recommendations for dive sites that are not ship wrecks (not my thing). Most threads I've looked at are all about the ship wrecks. Looking for dive sight recommendations that are more reef and creature oriented (Sharks, Turtles, Whales etc.)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I have my ADC if that helps, but my friend will only have his OWC by the time we go.

Also if you could recommend some snorkeling spots that would be great as well other than Hanauma Bay as i hear its quite crowded.
:D

Once i get some dive recommendations ill look for a Dive Op willing to take me out to the dive sites you recommend.

Thank you!!!

It's kind of hidden on this website, but under "Local Reference" there's a bunch of Dive-site reviews by the O'Hana:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lo...-information-reviews-hawaiian-dive-sites.html

For November:
First the not-so-good-news: during Winter months North-Shore shore-diving is relatively un-safe due to big-waves (10 to 50 feet).
Always check the surf-report to be sure: Surf News Network

The good-news: South and West-side diving is excellent in the Winter.
Per your request, reef-sites only:
West-side dive-sites: Makaha Caverns and Stars. Ocean Concepts visits those sites regularly.
Scuba Diving Oahu with Ocean Concepts Hawaii - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii
West-side snorkeling and diving: Kahe Point ("Electric Beach"). This site has tons of fish!

South-shore: Turtle-canyons and Nautilus. Island Divers Hawaii can take you to those.
South-east-shore Hawaii-Kai area: Phantasea Reef and Koko Craters. Again, Island Divers Hawaii visits those reefs.
http://www.oahuscubadiving.com/

But so you're aware, most dive-boats will likely do the first dive of the day on a Shipwreck. Then, the second and afternoon dives on shallower reefs.
Therefore, if you really have an aversion to unnatural formations, dive in the afternoon.

Finally, for more custom dive-site tours by-request, Kaimana Divers (owned by ScottitheDuck) can take you anywhere you like.
Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kaimana Divers | Dive Oahu with the pros

I have over 50 dives at Ewa Pinnacles. It is as they describe, a very beautiful dive-site with the most diverse underwater eco-system around Oahu. And, I initially listed it as a recommended reef for you. However, you mentioned your buddy was new. So, I removed it because the top of the reef starts at 60 fsw [OWC limit] and the far side of the reef is deeper than 100 fsw.

Have great fun diving Oahu whatever sites you choose. Aloha.

Back
Top Bottom