First time using Canon A570IS in Grand Turk and Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried using the auto and uw modes (as far as wb goes) = I got pictures that were way too dark for the most part. I was given advice to try the manual mode with these settings and to fuss around with them. Unfortunately, as I am a novice diver, I didn't want to be too distracted with fussing with the settings so I left them where they were. Got a few OK shots. Next time I will try different things as I feel more comfortable in the water.

You cannot just set a f stop and shutter and shoot away without regard.

The UW mode simply resets the color balance. If the pics were to dark, seems to be a common theme for you, then I would use the auto compensation up to two f-stops to lighen the pics.

Also, you may simply not have enough light, everybody is telling you to go down in ISO, I would go up as an experiment, try 400. It will be more grainy but at least you would have something to compare to and see if it improves the exposure.

Each time you double the ISO, half the shutter speed or drop to the next lower full f stop you double the light exposure to the film/sensor chip.

ISO 400 is 2 times that of ISO 200. ISO 200 is twice the exposure of ISO 100.

1/60th second is twice the light exposure of 1/125 which is twice the exposure of 1/250 second.

F4 is twice the exposure of F5.6 which is twice the exposure of F8

Generic manual settings do not work etc. Get a light meter if you insist on manual exposure control.

N

When you say try shooting in automatic - you mean full auto mode? This has worked for you in the past?

When you say try shooting in automatic - you mean full auto mode? This has worked for you in the past?

Yes, why wouldn't it? The camera manufactuers have spent decades perfecting exposure systems. Why would you not use it except when your trying to accomplish something other than what your experience with your camera it would not provide in auto? You will certainly do better than setting in a single shutter speed and f stop and shooting away without regard to the scene lighting.

There is one thing, you might also tinker with the metering mode of your 570IS, it has spot, center weighted and evaluative modes. They each see the scene slightly different and weight different aspects of the expousre. I prefer either center weighted or the evaluative. You can also use your half press to lock an expousre setting. Example, you want to bias the exposure, aim the camera in center or spot modes to the object of interest, allow the camera to meter and then half press the shutter locking the exposure (and focus) and then recompose and complete the shutter press to take the picture. You can use this trick to under or overexpose or compensate for backlighting etc.

Read the manual for your camera, all of this is in there, surface photogrpahy is not that different from uw photography, the principles and rules still apply.

Again, the uw mode only resets the color balance to compensate for the green/blue tint ofmost marine conditions. It does nothing else, it is not magic. You can accomplish the same thing in Adobe.

N

Thanks for the advice. I see what you are saying. I will definitely try the auto setting next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom