First timer questions about liveaboard - BA IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's too bad. On our most recent trip, my husband got tossed into a coral by the currents and his hands scraped one of the coral formations. He didn't tell me and he didn't think anything of it. A week later, he got what appeared to be a nasty blister that sent him to the ER. They diagnosed it as shingles but it cleared up in 2 days so no way it was shingles. But it looked nasty! Then he tells me how he got pushed into a coral. :facepalm:

...and then there was the time that I tripped exiting a shore dive on Bonaire and put my hand down on a sea urchin while trying to break the fall. Gloves probably wouldn't have helped much in that situation - maybe a little. The guy in the dive shop told me to "pee on it!" (and my husband said that I was lucky that the guy didn't offer to pee on it!) but I preferred to seek medical treatment instead!

...and then there was the time that I tripped exiting a shore dive on Bonaire and put my hand down on a sea urchin while trying to break the fall. Gloves probably wouldn't have helped much in that situation - maybe a little. The guy in the dive shop told me to "pee on it!" (and my husband said that I was lucky that the guy didn't offer to pee on it!) but I preferred to seek medical treatment instead!

Haha, I see your husband has a sense of humour!

Looks good!
um, no. The simplest solution is bare feet and stay off the reef.

Bare feet dry faster and have the best grip on boat decks.

As per prior notes LOBs dump sand onto newly painted surfaces ( or they do something that gives the same result). LOB decks are not slippery in bare feet. Any type of rigid or semi rigid foot sole will be more slippery than your bare foot. And will provide less control when the boat wallows.

BUT: ignore me and just ask the LOB operators. Every one I have been on have aggressively tried to snatch my sandals as I boarded.

If you want to wear slippers because of fungas / disease concerns, then maybe you should stay at home more often. Have you ever touched anything in an airplane washroom? Ich!

um, no. The simplest solution is bare feet and stay off the reef.

Bare feet dry faster and have the best grip on boat decks.

As per prior notes LOBs dump sand onto newly painted surfaces ( or they do something that gives the same result). LOB decks are not slippery in bare feet. Any type of rigid or semi rigid foot sole will be more slippery than your bare foot. And will provide less control when the boat wallows.

BUT: ignore me and just ask the LOB operators. Every one I have been on have aggressively tried to snatch my sandals as I boarded.

If you want to wear slippers because of fungas / disease concerns, then maybe you should stay at home more often. Have you ever touched anything in an airplane washroom? Ich!

I wish there was an “unlike” button...

Stay off the reef...yeah duh! And crap doesn’t happen to you.

Stay at home cause I’m concerned with fungus/disease concerns...again duh! Again sh*t doesn’t happen to you.

Sorry to go off on you but I don’t have patience for people who can only see the world through their own narrow vision, and have absolutely no understanding or empathy for those who are not like you.

Just several years ago I had a 60% chance of dying and yes, I was quarantined for 6 straight months at home. Shoot me for being a little concerned about my health. Heck I haven’t dove my bucket list yet and I wanna be in good health to be able to finish it!

I, too, am very conscious about picking up funky feet and can appreciate the efforts and concerns here. I’ve never had it and want to keep it that way because I know others who have had it and it’s not fun.

With that said, I’m usually most worried about this in showers (hello, gym shower) or in areas that harbor a lot of moisture. Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do by way of the dive deck. It’s wet. All the time. You could argue that you wear boots and Lycra socks but you still have to do the to and from to don and doff. I just tell myself that the salt water and saline environment makes it less ideal of conditions for the funk. At least, that’s what let me sleep at night. I still don flip flops in the shower. I’ve been on 4 liveaboards and haven’t had an issue.

In all honesty, outside of that, assuming it is warm weather, I go barefoot. I agree that it is safer and more stable especially while the boat is rocking and listing. I have a very vivid memory of a fellow passenger picking up their flip flop foot to cross the threshold of a door and their foot cleared but their flop did not. Not a very nice landing.....Ouch.

Back
Top Bottom