First timer questions about liveaboard - BA IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once Crocs get old and the bottoms worn smooth, they can get slick on wet surfaces. Be careful if you take an old pair.

Richard.

P.S. - I love Crocs. Life would be easier if I didn’t have to bother with other kinds of shoes.

Once Crocs get old and the bottoms worn smooth, they can get slick on wet surfaces. Be careful if you take an old pair.

Richard.

P.S. - I love Crocs. Life would be easier if I didn’t have to bother with other kinds of shoes.

I had a pair of Crocs once. I wore it for 28 days when I stayed in a hospital. I associate it with illness and hospitals. :confused:

How about a pair of surf shoes or water shoes (with a white sole)?

I wear slip-on topsiders. After slipping on a wet deck and tearing up a knee, no more barefoot unless they make me. :cry:

I wear slip-on topsiders. After slipping on a wet deck and tearing up a knee, no more barefoot unless they make me. :cry:

I had to Google what a topsider was...learned something new!

seems like BA!V had a non-slip surface everywhere - carpet, rubber or something. I could be wrong about that, but seems like I remember that. The stairs have an aggressive non-slip, like sandpaper but, as Richard pointed out, they're not wide enough for a big foot. So, careful on them if you have big feet.

In any case, I went barefoot for the entire 10 days with no problems at all re: slipping or kicking anything (that was somebody else who kicked the bottom of the hatch...)

I wore a pair of cheap GAP flip flops onto a day boat once. After the dive, my feet were still wet and I stepped off the boat and onto the pier - I slipped and did a splits with one leg on the boat and the other leg on the pier. I was not able to walk all week.

I tossed those cheap GAP flip flops into the garbage can. :mad:

I don't want a repeat on the BAIV. I'm sure bare feet will be fine for most. I've got thin skin, literally, and am extra careful...which leads me to my next question...are gloves allowed for say when we're hanging on to the hang bar? Are gloves allowed generally in Belize? I'm not using them for warmth, just for protection.

I wore a pair of cheap GAP flip flops onto a day boat once. After the dive, my feet were still wet and I stepped off the boat and onto the pier - I slipped and did a splits with one leg on the boat and the other leg on the pier. I was not able to walk all week.

I tossed those cheap GAP flip flops into the garbage can. :mad:

I don't want a repeat on the BAIV. I'm sure bare feet will be fine for most. I've got thin skin, literally, and am extra careful...which leads me to my next question...are gloves allowed for say when we're hanging on to the hang bar? Are gloves allowed generally in Belize? I'm not using them for warmth, just for protection.

If I recall correctly gloves are not allowed anywhere in Belize waters - but others should be able to confirm that.

That's another reason that I like to wear skins when I dive. If I want to hang on to the mooring line to do my safety stop at the end of the dive, I just pull the sleeve down over my hand to give me some protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom