First trip to Philippines and I have a few questions (Sabang Beach area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interested to read about problems with dirty water there at the moment. I have been to PG every year for the last seven years. I have had a problem only once, namely a severe eye infection, that required a visit to the local GP, and essentially wiped out my planned diving for a week.

I think I was diving in February, and recall that the water in front of Sabang was unusually cold. Although it is often cooler at this time of year; it was 19-20C only. Around the point it was a more typical 24-25C, but despite the famed strong currents, the water was NOT mixing. The water in front of the town is clearly going to collect the run-off from the local 'sewerage system'.

Since I wear contact lenses, which I tend to overwear on holiday, I probably got a face full of sea water at some point, and left the soaked lenses in contact with my eyes for an extended period, increasing the possibility of infection.

I discussed this with the owner of a dive resort who remembered his lens-wearing GF having a similar problem in the past. As he advised, best to buy a pack of disposable lenses and change regularly, even after each dive if you think the water is not clean. This is a precautionary measure which I now follow on ALL dive trips.

I should emphasise that I have only had this problem ONCE in PG, but it was certainly a problem on that occasion; my prescription is -9 and I CANNOT dive without lenses (and don't have a prescription mask!).

Interested to read about problems with dirty water there at the moment. I have been to PG every year for the last seven years. I have had a problem only once, namely a severe eye infection, that required a visit to the local GP, and essentially wiped out my planned diving for a week.

I think I was diving in February, and recall that the water in front of Sabang was unusually cold. Although it is often cooler at this time of year; it was 19-20C only. Around the point it was a more typical 24-25C, but despite the famed strong currents, the water was NOT mixing. The water in front of the town is clearly going to collect the run-off from the local 'sewerage system'.

Since I wear contact lenses, which I tend to overwear on holiday, I probably got a face full of sea water at some point, and left the soaked lenses in contact with my eyes for an extended period, increasing the possibility of infection.

I discussed this with the owner of a dive resort who remembered his lens-wearing GF having a similar problem in the past. As he advised, best to buy a pack of disposable lenses and change regularly, even after each dive if you think the water is not clean. This is a precautionary measure which I now follow on ALL dive trips.

I should emphasise that I have only had this problem ONCE in PG, but it was certainly a problem on that occasion; my prescription is -9 and I CANNOT dive without lenses (and don't have a prescription mask!).
sorry its all i heard. email one of the dive opps there to make sure. hope i heard wrong because the diving there is supposed to be awesome. i want to dive there next year also

All it said on trip advisor aas a broken sewer pipe sewage running across white beach. But supposedly its ok if your diving. No further info sceptnits dec 2017 and still not in gdeat shape. Peurto galero has lots of dive sites, thats just 1. I wouldnt worry

I was in Sabang 3 weeks ago for 9 days and if this was a big issue I am sure I would have heard something about it. The water was a bit more cloudy than a year ago but this had more to do with the stronger currents/lunar cycle than a leaking pipe. I have already booked another trip July 4 - 12 as I understand the summer months (May and beyond) tend to have better water visibility...at least that's what they tell me.

As far as ATM's I can vouch for there the one ATM in Sabang is very unreliable and from what I was told it limited withdrawls to 5,000 peso less 200 peso fee...so If you comfortable bringing USD with you and exchange in Sabang or plan to take a 15 minuted trike ride over to Puerto Galera to the ATM at the main bank there. For currency exchange this is by far the easiest in Sabang,,,when the market rate on XE currency is showing 52 and they are paying out 51.0 I would say that is very attractive rate, For me I minimize ATM withdrawls to avoid the 200 peso or more fees and I guarantee you the bank that you have your account (assuming a USA bank) is probably paying out 95% of the currency rate to you exchanging US dollar is my choice...less than local exchange rate.

All it said on trip advisor aas a broken sewer pipe sewage running across white beach. But supposedly its ok if your diving. No further info sceptnits dec 2017 and still not in gdeat shape. Peurto galero has lots of dive sites, thats just 1. I wouldnt worry

White Beach is not close to Sabang diving sites

Why bather with exchanging?

When i travel SEA, I do not bring cash from home, I go to the ATM at the airport av withdraw PHP 20k (if in the phillipines) and then i top up when i need. I do not need to carry around big piles of cash, I do not need to pay bad exchange rates.

The excange rate is better in the ATM.

I usually exchange at home. It’s not the best rate and I’m okay with that because I’d rather not be worrying about finding a reliable or working ATM and publicly acknowledging to others that I’m withdrawing large amounts of cash. Some of the ATMs are pretty exposed and/or sometimes I’m not familiar with the neighborhood. It’s just easier and not worth the savings, especially sometimes as a female single traveler. Additionally, I don’t like to use my ATM card unnecessarily since it’s a financial security issue. What I should do, however, is open a separate account for use during travel only so that in case anyone skims my card, it’s not my main/primary account and it would limit my losses.

Thanks for the idea!

ATMs in the Philippines are , in my experience , often guarded with people with very large guns...not something we are used to in Europe. However at busy times of the year it is very common for them to have no cash. Also once I put my PIN wrong and my bank cancelled te card.

Not a problem, I love guns and good guys with guns makes me feel safer! Thinking of a little full auto practice at the local range while in PG, depending on ammo costs of course. 2.7 sec for 30 rounds out of an M4 gets costly pretty fast. :wink:

I have 2 cards, and i can use my bank-app in my phone to move money between them. I feel more safe to carry a cc in a belt under my pants than to carry stacks of €€€€€€.

I can also, with the card i usually use, open and close it for usage outside of my home country, so when i going to make a withdraw i just open it with my phone, withdraw the money and then close it. So if someone skim my card they have to use it at exact the same time as i do.

I also only use cc in ATM's, never in any shop, restaurant or hotel. I pay hotels with PayPal or cash.

In most places I seem to find ATM's that feel quite secure.

Why bather with exchanging?

When i travel SEA, I do not bring cash from home, I go to the ATM at the airport av withdraw PHP 20k (if in the phillipines) and then i top up when i need. I do not need to carry around big piles of cash, I do not need to pay bad exchange rates.

The excange rate is better in the ATM.

At 50:1, your piles of cash are bigger in php thasn usd. Personally, I consider my cash pretty safe when in my possession on an airplane. The only thing, imo, that can come from getting cash at the atm in my home city versus destination airport is an atm transaction goes bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom