First underwater shooting experience!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I can see is that the camera was not "white balanced." If it was, then it was auto white balanced instead of manual white balanced. Everytime I dive, I go in with a white slate. Once I determine the depth at which I will be photographing, I point my camera to my white slate and white balance in manually. This removes blue or green from the shot and all colors stand out. If I dont do it then the camera will make everything in varying shades of green and blue.

In order to understand how important it is to white balance manually, look at these pics from Dutch Springs. Same dive! First one was white balanced manually the second one was auto :)

Attachments

• DSCN2980.jpg
    DSCN2980.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3007.jpg
    DSCN3007.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 81
What I can see is that the camera was not "white balanced." If it was, then it was auto white balanced instead of manual white balanced. Everytime I dive, I go in with a white slate. Once I determine the depth at which I will be photographing, I point my camera to my white slate and white balance in manually. This removes blue or green from the shot and all colors stand out. If I dont do it then the camera will make everything in varying shades of green and blue.

In order to understand how important it is to white balance manually, look at these pics from Dutch Springs. Same dive! First one was white balanced manually the second one was auto :)

The best way to deal with white balance issues is to use RAW format for the images, then it becomes a non issue since you can fully adjust the white balance of the image afterwards without loss of quality. It also keeps a higher dynamic range that helps to make photos not look washed out.
I don't know if the OPs camera can shoot in RAW though...

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was having some trouble posting from Cozumel.

I'm going to read the links provided and try color correcting in Photoshop right now.

I did try the underwater mode, and it does help.

You could post specific pictures you want help with. RAW+photoshop should make you much happier.

E.g. before:

Big%20Fish_orig.jpg

after:

Big%20Fish.jpg

Osric

Looks pretty good. I usually use the sandy bottom as white (which make the color a little warmer), or if no sandy bottom is available, I would point it in the direction of the sun and get a WB from that. The theory is that both of these would take into account the distance to the subject, which a white dive slate cannot replicate since it will always be a one or two ft away, where the sandy bottom that I point to would be roughly the distance I will be shooting most subjects (e.g. deep dive, most pix might be coral walls or pelagic creatures, so I point to sand 30 ft away. Same with pointing at the sun, it is what we consider white, and the deeper I go, the more water there will be between me and the sun.

The dive slate could be a possibility, since it gives true white. It might be more versatile if used with the camera's additional +/- white balance, which could be used to make the WB more red, for more distant subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom