Fish ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schaffld

Registered
Reaction score
Saudi Arabia (for work) and the Philippines (for "
# of dives
500 - 999

Attachments

• Unknown 01.JPG
    Unknown 01.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 116
Looks for like a wrasse or bass, possibly a juvenile transition phase but i honestly dont know or recognise it, you can submit your hoto to various online fish id databases.

??
Cheilinus trilobatus juvenile or intermediate phase
??

Thanks. Yes, I'm definitely thinking it's a transitional phase of some kind of wrasse. The markings on the face resemble C. trilobatus, but the body colouration is throwing me a real curve ball. I'm using Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific by Allen et. al. I'll do a bit more investigating on one of my favourite fish ID websites.

Marine Iconography of the Philippine Archipelago | Poppe-Images

Cheers

its a very good shout, just checked it out.

Looking at the pictures of C. trilobatus on the Poppe-Images website also lead me to their collection of Cheilinus chlorourus. The facial markings and the highly variable body colourations with white spotting on their examples are making me lean towards the Floral Wrasse.

My next question... why am I dwelling on this so much??? :dork2:

Back
Top Bottom