Fish Taco Mayo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These recipes sound intriguing, but I think I'll stick with the traditional plain white sauce with hot sauce added as desired at the table. As I see it, putting sauce on a taco as I eat it is part of the ritual.

Eric doesn't like mayo so I made mine yesterday similar to djdiverdan with about a half cup creme, one canned Chipotle chile with the adobo sauce, the juice from half a lime and a teaspoon of chopped cilantro all blended till smooth. Yummy!

Eric doesn't like mayo so I made mine yesterday similar to djdiverdan with about a half cup creme, one canned Chipotle chile with the adobo sauce, the juice from half a lime and a teaspoon of chopped cilantro all blended till smooth. Yummy!

What, was yesterday "national fish taco" day? :)

What, was yesterday "national fish taco" day? :)
If it was, I screwed up. I had that Sunday.

These recipes sound intriguing, but I think I'll stick with the traditional plain white sauce with hot sauce added as desired at the table. As I see it, putting sauce on a taco as I eat it is part of the ritual.
What is this "traditional" white sauce of which you speak? I learned to eat fish tacos in Lajolla, at the Taco Stand, arguably where fish tacos were invented. I never saw a white sauce, only a pink one.

If it was, I screwed up. I had that Sunday.
Everyday can be fish taco day. :) I eat fish about twice a week... I'm thankful some people don't like fish, I wish fewer people did.

Here's a really good and simple recipe that requires few ingredients I've been addicted to lately.

Get a glass baking dish and melt/soften a stick of butter and spread over the pan. Place some
Hogfish/Lionfish filets in the dish and pour some fresh lemon juice on them. About a tablespoon per filet. Then a very very light dusting with Chef Pauls Redfish Backening seasoning. Not too much, don't want to over power such a naturally delicious fish. Crush some fresh garlic and spread over the filets. Get some Italian seasoned croutons and crush them in a zip loc bag. Sprinkle liberally over the fillets and then cut a table spoon of butter and place on top of each fillet. Bake on 350 for about twenty minutes. Maybe a quick final broil to crisp up the croutons if your oven doesn't run hot. Garnish with some chopped cilantro.... Heaven.

What is this "traditional" white sauce of which you speak? I learned to eat fish tacos in Lajolla, at the Taco Stand, arguably where fish tacos were invented. I never saw a white sauce, only a pink one.

I've eaten fish tacos all over San Diego and Baja, and I don't recall any pink sauce. I think it's some kind of fairly recent adaptation. People just can't leave things unfussed-with. I can't say I have eaten at the Taco Stand, as it wasn't there when I lived in San Diego. In Ensenada, San Felipe, etc.--before Ralph Rubio introduced the masses in San Diego to them in the early '80s--the fish taco vendors used crema or mayo cut with lime juice. (And the fish was usually corvina.) The salsa or hot sauce on the table is there if you want to add heat a su gusto.

Everyday can be fish taco day. :) I eat fish about twice a week... I'm thankful some people don't like fish, I wish fewer people did.

Here's a really good and simple recipe that requires few ingredients I've been addicted to lately.

Get a glass baking dish and melt/soften a stick of butter and spread over the pan. Place some
Hogfish/Lionfish filets in the dish and pour some fresh lemon juice on them. About a tablespoon per filet. Then a very very light dusting with Chef Pauls Redfish Backening seasoning. Not too much, don't want to over power such a naturally delicious fish. Crush some fresh garlic and spread over the filets. Get some Italian seasoned croutons and crush them in a zip loc bag. Sprinkle liberally over the fillets and then cut a table spoon of butter and place on top of each fillet. Bake on 350 for about twenty minutes. Maybe a quick final broil to crisp up the croutons if your oven doesn't run hot. Garnish with some chopped cilantro.... Heaven.
Agree about wanting less people liking fish. After we discovered lionfish ceviche we can't find enough for a dish. Will have to try your recipe if we ever get the chance.

One of the best fish tacos I've ever had were red snapper tacos at Loreli in Islamorada. It was a cilantro lime mayo sauce that I've yet to duplicate. Maybe because the cocktails had me believing they were the greatest tacos ever, but I do believe the sauce was white.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom