Fisheye fix mini focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Don't do it! This is the cute little light that sells for $59.95 and uses four aaa batteries. I originally purchased one a couple of years ago, and it functioned fine until I flooded it. This was due to the brilliant stroke of design that requires you to unscrew the lighthead a few turns to turn the light on. If the light is turned out additionally for whatever reason while you're on a dive, it can flood.
I was happy enough with the function of the first one that when I flooded it I went to Backscatter and bought a replacement. This was on the day of the NCUPS photo comp in Monterey. I took the new one out on my first dive and shortly after I got in the water, it quit working. I turned it off and back on, tapped it a few times, and it began working. Between dives, I checked it, and if I took the lighthead off and wiggled the led unit a bit, it would always come on. Once I screwed the cap back on and the alignment changed, it wouldn't function without tapping on it a bit. After a couple of dives like this, it wouldn't function at all till I took the light head out and wiggled the led unit around. Once screwed together it was non functional.
With all the time stress of the dive comp, I wasn't able to bring it back in to Backscatter that day. My next few dive weekends were all Sundays, when they weren't open. The next Saturday dive day, about a month and a half later, I brought the light in, and asked for a replacement. They said that they would need to have their tech evaluate it first, so I bought a new one and left it, figuring that I'd just have a spare when they replaced it. A couple of weeks later I was informed that the light had had a "mini flood" (It was spotless and dry every time I opened it!) and that there were no parts available, so I would have to buy a new one.
Unfortunately, by the third time I had used it, my new unit that I purchased when I brought that one in was doing the exact same thing. In a couple of weeks it, too, was non functional.
After attempting to pull it apart and finding that it is permanently plastic welded and sealed together, I found that the fault is with the switch. The switch is one paper thin piece of copper shim that is bent to act as a spring. It contacts a printed circuit on the lighthead base when the pressure is released by slightly unscrewing the cap. Unfortunately, it is easily bent and completely inaccessible while closing the light. I tried several ways to readjust the bend on the contact so that it would function, once getting it to work anytime except when I screwed the cap on. Eventually, the bending around broke it off, and I decided to get out my Dremel and disassemble the light head to see how the POS worked. After cutting up the plastic lighthead housing around the led, I soldered the original contact copper permanently between the contacts. For now, when I close the cap all the way the light comes on, as the wires that hold it together are stiff enough to act as springs. I'll continue this way till it dies forever, and my wife now has a Xmas list order for a new L & M Sola 600 to replace this cheap little piece of crap.
Don't waste your $59 (plus another $70 for the set up to mount it to the camera)
Get a decent light.:shakehead:

Good info Larry. Thanks for posting it.

I wonder if the Fantasea Line Nano Focus Light is built the same?

Never flooded it, but the Nano doesn't produce enough light to be very effective. I bought one for a friend and it's pretty useless.

I like my Big Blue ... it's a bit more spendy, but worth it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Used one for about 10 dives til it flooded. I guess it would have lasted longer if I paid more attention to the o-ring. I also noticed that the ys mount & bolt already had rust on it. I replaced it with an Inon LE240 and that has worked flawlessly for me. The light doesnt show in photos at all, and has a nice even 40 degree beam.

Never flooded it, but the Nano doesn't produce enough light to be very effective. I bought one for a friend and it's pretty useless.

I like my Big Blue ... it's a bit more spendy, but worth it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Exactly how useless is it? Is it good for macro in daylight? Macro on night dives? Is it good up to half a meter at least? Got one and it's pretty bright in air but have not used it underwater yet.

Exactly how useless is it? Is it good for macro in daylight? Macro on night dives? Is it good up to half a meter at least? Got one and it's pretty bright in air but have not used it underwater yet.

Hej Carl-Johan. My answer to your question is that it's completely useless in our murky waters. It's not good for anything! I bought one and sold it on E-bay after one dive.

My little Fisheye light worked pretty well with my P & S, even in murky water, but it just doesn't have the oomph to allow my 60mm Nikon to find a sharp edge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom