Fitness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the general fitness aspect of your question has been covered. However, if you do find yourself with a long swim, I'd recommend going backwards. Lay on your back, and let your BC support you. Kicking your legs will still get you there, though it is slower. Your body isn't trying to keep your head out of water, so you don't exert yourself as much. The little bit of energy you do have will last longer.

I think the general fitness aspect of your question has been covered. However, if you do find yourself with a long swim, I'd recommend going backwards. Lay on your back, and let your BC support you. Kicking your legs will still get you there, though it is slower. Your body isn't trying to keep your head out of water, so you don't exert yourself as much. The little bit of energy you do have will last longer.

If you've got enough gas in your tank, or you've got a snorkel available, swimming forward just under the surface is much more efficient than swimming backwards.

1- Just because there's an obese guy who smokes going scuba diving doesn't mean we can disregard the benefits of being in shape. I certainly don't want to be wondering whether it's him or me who is going to have the heart attack first.

2- No swimming after turtles. We don't want to harass the aquatic life.

3- Wanting to swim against a current isn't such a smart idea either. It might "sound fun" but you will tire very easily doing that.

You have to read my whole post- it says being in shape is a good idea- but anyone can dive if they wish within their limits. Also, swimming to get closer to a turtle is hardly harassment- and swimming against a light current is fine if you're in good enough shape- which I am- probably not the best for air consumption though. It all comes down to knowing what you're capable of.

If you've got enough gas in your tank, or you've got a snorkel available, swimming forward just under the surface is much more efficient than swimming backwards.

But swimming backwards is so relaxing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom