Fitness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,

New diver here, I am undertaking my OW course in a couple of weeks and looking forward to it. The one thing that sits in the back of my mind and bothers me a little every now and then is my cardiovascular fitness level (I did pass my scuba medical without issue or without anything being said atleast).

I am a big strong guy but my cardio is rather pathetic (I can see myself using air like there is no tomorrow lol), I am actually hoping diving with help with this over time. I am a comfortable snorkeler and pretty calm in the water so air consumption is not something that bothers me its basic skills like removing your regulator and choking trying to clear my mask. I can't hold my breathe for very long periods of time and I know being underwater and with a little stress this time will decrease greatly. I also know I am not expected to float around without a reg for a long time but my cardio fitness or lack of it is something I am very aware of.

Again I am not worried enough to be nervous about the situation (well at least not at this stage) as I am sure I will be fine but I would like to hear some opinions on what people think about this/similar situations. There is no substitute for a healthy mind/body in any circumstance diving or not and I do try and improve this but between work and home life personal fitness often falls by the wayside.

Thanks

Rob

Use OW class as encouragement to start improving your cardio.

Start with walking or biking, and just do a little more each day. It will pay huge dividends for you down the line.

Well first off please try to rememember that holding your breath is not part of any SCUBA equation
and you will be usinging up some air in the beginning so go ahead and use it to get past the basics amd by that I mean really working to make the basics second nature BTW you have to dive ,dive and then dive some more even if it's just the pool
Before you know it you'll be below .5 ,just relax and enjoy!!!!!!

I agree. Whatever you choose to do, start slowly and gradually make it more strenuous. I've had to improve a lot for the DM course swim tests. Swimming is probably the best excercise all around for anything (wish I were closer to a pool). There is no strain on the joints like walking/running, and many muscles are used. If you are unable to improve your cardio a whole lot for a while, my guess would be you should limit your dive plans to very "benign" dives--ei. not much surf, surge, current, need to get somewhere fast, etc. Avoid long surface swims, on purpose or by accident. Good luck with your OW and further training.

I find that better cardiovascular fitness does have a noticeable effect on my gas consumption. I used to hit the elliptical trainer hard for the two or three weeks before a dive trip; I think it takes at least that long to see some improvement. Now I just do it all the time--I sleep better, feel better, maybe even look better:wink:, and I think I'm a little stingier in my gas usage. That said, for a new diver, your comfort in the water and with your skills and equipment will be much bigger factors in your gas usage.

In an ideal world your ability to go without inhaling would be tested in your training with ditch-and-dons, buddy-breathing, controlled emergency swimming ascent practice, and with an underwater swimming test, but there's a good chance you won't need to do it at all in your course. It could be a valuable tool to have in real-life diving, however.

Rob...as others have said...don't worry about it, but use this as an opportunity to improve your cardiovascular health.

I have the same problem w/ being in relatively poor cardiovascular condition. Mine is from powerlifting. Powerlifting builds predominantly white muscle fiber (explosive strength, short duration, aerobic, not anaerobic). Shoot, walking a golf course was a workout for me. I would get out of breath walking from green to tee. Cardio workouts build predominantly red muscle fiber (anaerobic...not explosive strength, but can continue to work for a long time without becoming exhausted)

Anyway, i stopped lifting a couple of years ago...it was starting to affect my health in other ways. I always hated cardio, but have started using the elliptical three or four days per week. For me, I always needed a reason to get motivated...when I was lifting it was the competitions...now, for cardio it is scuba diving. The way I look at it is...whatever...at least I am working on cardio fitness now.

To put this in perspective...my wife can work out for 40 minutes on the elliptical and her heart rate barely rises above 80 beats per minute...I work out slower and only for 20 minutes and I struggle to keep mine under 140 beats per minute (trying to stay w/in the target range for cardio).

Good luck and enjoy the diving.

John

Diving is my motivation to go to the Gym. I usually make it 4 times a week an hour at a time on the "Habitrails" Elpitical mostly. Enjoy your class and DON'T hold your breath.

Thanks for everyone's responses, much appreciated.

I am doing my training with a local SSI group, they seem to be reasonably strict and require all the things stated by vladimir (no doubt looking better). That is something I am actually looking forward to, I would prefer to be tried and tested and have things hammered into me than finish my OW ticket and still lack confidence and the necessary skills to be a safe diver. For that exact reason I am doing a more comprehensive OW course, the first part of my course is over 3 days including pool work and then 4-5 OW dives after that (all going well) I receive my OW certification, I am doing a follow up weekend another 4 dives with an instructor from my understanding an opportunity to go over skills again and still be watched/guided, also practising things like floating SMB's etc.

I know I should swim more, its a great fitness to have and I see free divers and get extremely jealous of their amazing abilities.

Looks like I should invest in an elliptical trainer as I don't have a pool close by although thinking of putting one in the backyard over the next year or two. I once got on an elliptical trainer at the gym OMG it kicked my a*@#&, I could sit on a bike and ride until I was struggling with the build up of lactic acid but I would not get puffed.

This is a good topic. Though we do not believe you have to be the second coming of Micheal Phelps to be a scuba diver you should have a reasonable amount of physical fitness. If you were to look at the underlying cause of a diver having mild to serious problems in the water it would be a close call between lack of experience,training and physical ability to do certain dives.
We have seen many a sedate person come out on vacation and try to do more things in a week or even a day than they would in a year and suffer some kind of medical issue because of it.
You have received a lot of good suggestions and support here and hopefully though we do know it is hard to find the time in this hectic world in which we live in you will manage to think of ways to take care of yourself. We try to get at least 60 minutes at least 4 times a week ourselves along with some light weight training and as many walks with our dog as possible.
The thing about physical fitness for this great sport of scuba diving is that nothing you do on land really simulates being like a fish in the water, we have taught and guided manny a world class athlete and though they are in great shape the muscles they use on land are not the same as the one you use to fin with. The best way to get in shape for diving is to grab a pair of fins, get in a heated pool or the ocean if you have one close by and fin as much as possible. not only is it a great workout but will help you in your diving.If anyone has a exercise they can recommend to build up these same muscles please let us know we have yet to find one.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom