Fitting a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What are the most important things to look for in making sure a BC fits properly?

Ask a thousand people that and you will get a thousand diff answers......wait....you just did !!

For me, I dont like the one piece webbings, its for others not me. And, I dont like the velcro cumberbunds. The vest bcd I had with a velcro cumberbund always ended up riding high on me.
What I do like is adjustable straps for ease of getting in and out and since I dont dive a mile deep with 200 tanks hanging off of me adjustable straps are just fine. I also like a waist strap with metal buckle. I can pull it tight and not have to worry about it. I have tried diff styles and have settled on....ok ready????....the board popular bp and wing. But to each his or her own.
rich

With any adjustable BC Jacket or Back inflation.

1) Start with the shoulders loosened up all of the way.
2) Tighten the cumberbund/waist strap, so that it is below your ribcage. This becomes the anchor that is going to keep the BC from riding up. Most BC's have a way to tighten the cumberbund in the back, so don't let this be the deciding factor on whether the BC is to big. You should be more concered with the torso length.
3) Tighten up the shoulder straps. Ideally they should end up about halfway down the length of webbing. This gives you some adjustment for different thickness wet/dry suits. If the waist strap/cumberbound rides up when you tighten the shoulders, make it a little tighter. It should stay in place below your ribs.

If the shoulder tighten all of the way and the the BC is still loose it too big. If they are are at the top of the webbing with no more strap to let out it is too small.

Finnally if the BC has a second strap over the cumberbound, conect it but leave it a little bit loose, becasue this strap ussually get tighter when the BC is inflated.

The final test is to actually dive with the BC and see how it feels with a tank on in the water. Make sure you buy the BC from a shop that will allow you to try a different size if the one you buy is not just right.

Paul

Comfort. Unfortunatly you can not try it out properly without using it underwater. Ask you LDS if they have a rental that you have considered buying and try it.

:eyebrow:

Phud:
What are the most important things to look for in making sure a BC fits properly?

I see people trying them on all the time in the store butting them on over thier street cloths. If you will be diving in a 7mm suit then you better check that it will fit over the suit. But then if you ever do dive in warm water make sure it fits you with no suit

When I was renting the ML fit me fine with no wetsuit in the pool but I need an L in the ocean
the cheap rental BC did not offer enugh adjustment.

I just bought a BC for my son. we made sure it fit him in just a tee shirt and pulled up hard on the shoulder straps to make sur it did not ride up then checked that there was room in the adjustment system for a thick exposure suit.

adjustable straps, especially if diving in different temperatures with different wetsuits or no wetsuit

Back
Top Bottom