Fixing an old Seaquest BCD-Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have this old BCD that I like a lot. It was leaking thru the CO2 inflator mechanisn so I took it off. Now I have a nice hole in the bladder that I need to seal.
Could anybody reccomend me a sealant or repair kit to close this hole? Or perhaps tell me what material could be the bladder made off so I can search for the right adhesive?

Thanks!
BCD-Seaquest-bladder.jpg

PD: I now it is an old piece, but I’d like to fix it!

I always kept the CO2 inflator active. Those who didn't want them just used an empty cartridge in them or used a brass plug instead of a cartridge rather than dealing with a hole. I'd say, if you can, restore the inflator and plug it.

Bob
----------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Hi Bob,

First, thanks for the advice. A question: have you ever went thru a situation where you used the CO2 device? Or know any cases where it was usefull?

I've used waterbed repair kits to patch over the hole......however, from experience, if the CO2 is leaking it won't be long before the over pressure and inflator elbow start leaking too.

Thanks, I think you are right, so I'm planning to take a look to those parts too.
What I'd really like to know is the name of the material the bladder is made of.

HI Couv,thanks. I already saved a pdf of that post for future reference, very useful. Now I need to get a couple of pieces of the bladder material for the patches and the adhesive. 3M 5200 is not available here. What is the name of the material ? The comercial repairing kits offers "polyurethane" patches or "nylon covered PU".

The important thing is the adhesive. Use vinyl adhesive. You can use a piece of bicycle innertube for the patch if you cannot find a vinyl patch, but the rubber cement in the bicycle kit will not work to adhere the patch.

Back
Top Bottom