fixing to start ow--gear selection questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahnuts72

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm fixing to startmy ow training and I know I'm gonna buy my own gear

This is what I've selected
Scubapro mk11/c300
Seahawk BC
Luna
And prob the subgear xp-h as a backup

Is this selection allright for a beginner

Thnx in advance for any comments.

I started my open water training and already had all my gear. I have a scubapro glide pro bc, scubapro mk11/r395 regs, I can't remember which mask, xs scuba booties, split fins, and scuba pro snorkel. The only item I still use is the snorkel. Try to try out different setups before you buy. I'm now using a dive rite wing, a back plate and single tank adapter that I made(metal fabricator by trade), oms harness, HOG regs, hollis fins etc. Basically you won't know what you will prefer until you are exposed to different setups.

I have the seawing novas
The crystal Vu with purge
The nexus snorkel
The Delta long boots
And looking at the 3/2 profile steamer

When I did my OW the only gear I was required to own was the snorkle, mask and fins. Just as someone advised me when i was brand new to diving, I would recommend you try a variety of gear before you decide to purchase. Many local dive shops will let you try equipment. My dive shop included the equipment with the OW class so that helped. They also let me try some of the variety of gear they had in the rental line to help me choose what I liked. After making several dives with the various types of BCDs and regulators I made my initial selections.

Take your time and select what feels good to you and you are comfortable using in the water.

I won't comment on the specific products but....

There is no reason to buy more than mask, fins, booties and snorkel for your confined water (pool) work. Occasionally that's where the fun ends so limit your exposure in case diving is not for you.

Any good selection would be appropriate for far more than a beginner but it needs to be the right gear for you. I sense that more study is needed so you understand the features that are meaningful to you. You can then identify products that will meet your needs and be reasonable to get serviced. To do otherwise may be to the detriment of your diving pleasure, safety and wallet.

Pete

I will not comment on your gear selection but, I strongly recommend that you wait until you are finished with Open Water to purchase your gear. In a perfect world I would try several different types of gear configurations before purchasing... This helps ensure that you dont get saddled with buyers remorse, and end up selling your brand new gear at a substantial discount.....

Invest in a decent mask and snorkel, you might even try to test several different types of fins before purchasing them...

Cheers,
Roger

As other have said wait. I had all my gear before finishing OW and got it on the advice of my instructor/ shop owner. A year later half of it had been replaced. Two years later all of it was.

Don't worry. It may be your first gear purchase but it won't be your last. Enjoy.

Haven't purchased any thing yet but mask,fins,snorkel,and boots.

Thanks for the sound advice purchase wise.

Yes 00wabbit I'm from Mississippi.

Back
Top Bottom