Flight layover in Bali: stay 8 hours over night in the airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Layla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everyone

In an attempt to save a few dollars ....

Would you stay in Bali airport, the cheapest nearest hotel I've found is 60$ ten minutes away

My international flight lands at 23:00
My internal flight leaves 07:00
That's an 8 hour night time layover

I'm well travelled and have spend may hours in airports around the world
Is there a travellers lounge that I pay a bit to go into or basic rooms at the airport like Manila for 20$

I also worry about falling asleep in a hotel and missing my internal flight

Thanks ... L

It could take an hour to clear immigrations & customs, its now at least midnight. I usually arrive at least 2 hrs before any flight, so that puts you at check-in about 0500. That leaves 5 hrs to kill.. If you're flying Garuda you can buy your way into the VIP Lounge for a few hours. Don't believe there's an actual transit hotel, but several hotels/resorts are within 10-20 mins.

The domestic side of the the airport is far different than the international side. This includes the lounges. Honestly I have no idea if they are open or not overnight. Best guess is they close. Customs will not take long, and you don't need to be at the airport at 5 AM for a 7 AM domestic flight.

You can easily get a room in Kuta for less than $20 US a night. For less than $40 bucks you can get a pretty nice room. Just google "cheap hotel in Kuta bali" and have at it. All will be about 10 minutes from the airport.

Ah, now that's good to know, I'll check their website

Of course this is not my international flight, it is the flight from Jakarta to Bali on Garuda, which would be internal

Thanks for that tip .... L

It could take an hour to clear immigrations & customs, its now at least midnight. I usually arrive at least 2 hrs before any flight, so that puts you at check-in about 0500. That leaves 5 hrs to kill.. If you're flying Garuda you can buy your way into the VIP Lounge for a few hours. Don't believe there's an actual transit hotel, but several hotels/resorts are within 10-20 mins.

The lounge on the domestic side of the airport is very small. There definitely is no place to sleep at that lounge. I used this lounge when I flew Merpati from Bali to Bima. I also believe (but do not recall for sure) that this lounge is not a 24 hour lounge.

The international lounge is much bigger and much better than the domestic lounge. I believe the name of this lounge was the Prada lounge. Cost of entry was approixmately $15 U.S. I used this lounge when I flew from Bali to Taipei. There were one or two "quiet rooms" that have a recliner and blanket. So, you can shut the door and go to sleep. However, I don't recall if this lounge was open 24 hours or not.

As for a hotels, there are hotels and resorts within minutes of the Bali Airport. I stayed at a resort that was a 5 minute cab ride from the aiport. Cost of the cab from the airport to the hotel was about $8 U.S. Cost of the cab ride back from the hotel to the airport was $2 U.S. The difference in the taxi rates is the airport taxis are not using meters. You pay a flat price and an "airport premium."

I hope this info helps. Have fun on your trip.

The domestic lounge is definitely not 24-hour as we arrived very early for a flight to Wakatobi and had to wait until 6 am IIRC until the lounge opened.

There are about five lounges in the international side, they all close after the last flight takes off
So, it looks like I'll find a near by hotel

Thanks Everyone, have a good evening .... L

Hi Layla, youd be better off having a hot bath and decent nights sleep in a comfortable bed rather than an overnighter in denpasar airport. I stayed at a great cheap and comfortable hotel 5 min cab from the aiport called Alit Hotel. Less than $50 US and they pack you a small breakfast pack in a box for the next morning. Check in to the hotel past midnight. You still can have 5 hours sleep then catch a cab to airport 545am.

Just what was looking for, and it has WIFI .... booked!!
you're right, a hot bath, email home and a few hours sleep will be the best thing to do

Now I need to sort out three nights in Flores before boarding thre Dancer, hopefully booking through Dive Komodo for the diving + accommodation

Thank you so much ... L

Hi Layla, youd be better off having a hot bath and decent nights sleep in a comfortable bed rather than an overnighter in denpasar airport. I stayed at a great cheap and comfortable hotel 5 min cab from the aiport called Alit Hotel. Less than $50 US and they pack you a small breakfast pack in a box for the next morning. Check in to the hotel past midnight. You still can have 5 hours sleep then catch a cab to airport 545am.

Last edited:
Hotel Puri Bambu used to have free airport shuttle rides and free breakfast. I think we paid around $40 a night last time. They are very helpful and friendly. We got 2 hour massages for apx/$15. It is in a poor neighborhood but very clean and nice! Nice pool etc. We have stayed here 2x as a layover and it was great both times! Check it out! Very short airport ride!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom