Flip HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RhinoGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting one of these for my wife to shoot a little underwater video with. I searched the internet and seem to be getting mixed reviews on if they are any good for underwater use. Im just wondering if any of you guys/gals use one? I have a point and shoot camera that takes video but im hoping the flip will do better.

any input on these little camcorders would be appreciated.

Hi RhinoGuy. I use a flip HD for all my dives and I'm pretty happy with it overall, with some strong caveats.

First, all of my recent videos here are shot with the flip: http://www.YouTube.com/d5kenn.

Second, you really need a wide angle adapter to get good video with the camera. The default setting is too much on the telephoto end, and with the additional magnification effect of the water, you'll have a hard time capturing much of a scene, or in a very steady way (handholding telephoto really sucks) without one. A wde lends will set you back $250, the underwater ikelite case another $250, and $150 for the Flip. For that $$, think about getting a small digicam with hd video, a 24-28mm wide end and the manufacturer's own housing; this route will probaby save you over $300, and give you a great digicam that does stills, has a flash and image stabilization.

Otherwise i'm quite happy with the quality, ease of use and output from the Flip, let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

Thanks for the fast reply. I know very little about camcorders. I will try and do some research on a small camera with video. Do you have any recommendations on those?

Thanks for the fast reply. I know very little about camcorders. I will try and do some research on a small camera with video. Do you have any recommendations on those?

A few months ago I posted an informal comparison I created for myself: Cheap Video

I'd look into something like the Canon SD980. It's got a very wide native lens, and with the OEM Canon housing, should set you back about $500 or so (about the same as the Flip + Ikelite housing, but with image stabilization, the ability to get closer macro, real optical zoom, and get almost as wide as with a wide angle lens).

Man, I keep switching from going the digital camera route to video. Does one camera do both for a "reasonable" price?

I have no experience with the Flip, but have used several compact cams with video function when that was all I had. All of the ultra compact setups will have performance tradeoffs. If you use them under good conditions, or even a bit less than optimal, I think you will be happy with the results. In tough conditions, forget it.

Last year after a good deal of searching and head scratching, I bought a Canon SD940is for my wife, primarily to shoot stills. I would have preferred the slightly wider lens of the 980 (24mm vs 28), but I don't like touch screen controls. Photo performance is good and vids at 720 are fine in normal conditions. However, a diver shot a short vid of us in a lava tube with open water behind us. We look like black silhouettes and the walls of the tube are black also. No amount of post processing could do anything with it. This is typical of the other minicams I used in low light and especially in high contrast situations. A vid shot with my HF200 under the same conditions was far better, and with only a slight boost to the shadows and cut to the highlights, the result was quite satisfactory. You will have to decide if you can live with the tradeoffs.

Man, I keep switching from going the digital camera route to video. Does one camera do both for a "reasonable" price?

bottom line....no.

Do some reading here on this forum, tons of posts about the issue, prices of different systems, videos posted giving examples of each. LOTS of information here to help you make the decision.

robin:D
Canon HG-21, Ikelite housing and lights

Here is my footage of Roatan shot with the Flip Ultra HD with Ikelite housing in March 2010. More videos to come. I'm also shooting footage this weekend in Cozumel. Subscribe to see more videos! Great camera setup, esp around 70 feet in low light!

YouTube - spalkowetz's Channel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom