Flip me over, I'm dry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

* Open your dump valve on your shoulder all the way

Thats assuming the suit has an auto shoulder dump. A lot of suits still have cuff dumps which makes the dumping task straight forward - just raise arm.

Lobster divers sometimes get turned face down and fins up, while chasing a bug, and if they have a lot of air in their drysuits, then the air could shift to their feet, pop off their fins, and send them rocketing to the surface. In a situation like that, you would have to quickly tuck and roll, vent the excess air, then swim with your hands to find your fins again.

Hmmm. If you have too much air in the drysuit (overweighted then) and you go inverted the air will migrate to the boots and can pop fins off. However if the diver is neutral when it happens (why wouldnt they be?) that wont result in rocketing to the surface - no more air enters the suit, it simply moves.

Anyone getting inverted and losing fins has a serious issue with their dry suit - too heavily weighted, it doesnt fit properly or they cant use it properly, all of which result in too much air being put into the suit - diver error.

1) My trim was not good. I felt like I was swimming a little too head down. Do I need ankle weights or will I be able to make adjustments to this with experience?

Ankle weights are not evil but try the suit without them - you may find you dont need them, they can often mess up trim. If you feel your trim is out, try adjusting your tank position to counter it, eg higher up if head-high and vice versa. Maybe put a small trim weight somewhere to counter it.
Neoprene tends to be floatier than member suits but i still know a lot of people (vast majority) that manage without ankle bricks.

2) How much squeeze is too much?

Totally up to you, its purely until you feel comfortable. If its colder a bit more air in the suit is nice due to its insulation characteristics as well. There is no right amount of squeeze - i prefer none.

As for finding leaks, your method is ok for bigger leaks but for seams and tinier ones my preferred method is to turn the suit inside out as much as possible and fill with water - you can see the water seep through.

AFAIK PADI and BSAC teach people on single setups to use the drysuit for buoyancy and provided they're weighted correctly cant see any problem with this - it saves the task loading of handling 2 expanding air sources of ascent.
Personal preference though on that.

YOU NEED TO TAKE A DRYSUIT CLASS.

The mere fact that you asked the question, and then got an off-the-wall answer about how to counteract an inverted, feet-up position in a drysuit, beggs you to take a drysuit class.

Followed by a grand set of reasons (in terms of technique recommendations) that illustrate exactly how NOT to dive a drysuit!

First, what is a drysuit for? It is for exposure protection, right?

What is your BC for? It is for buoyancy compensation, right?

Your drysuit is designed to have gas added to (or released from) it SOLELY for the function of protecting you from exposure. That is, its reason for having an inflator is because it MUST in order to do its job - otherwise you'd get squeezed to the bejeebies.

Your BC, on the other hand, has multiple dumps (for different positions) and is designed to be used to control your buoyancy and position in the water.

They are very different functions. Perverting one to serve the other's purpose is unwise at best.

For your suit, you want the dump valve FULL OPEN all the time. If you add too much air to the suit with it set full open, in a normal swimming position or a feet-down position, it will harmlessly bubble out of the open dump. No harm, no foul.

This makes it somewhat difficult to get into a feetfirst uncontrolled ascent (and thus need to do the "tuck and roll" deal.) Why? Because in order for that to happen, you must have an abundance of air in the suit, AND you must also be rising. Why would you ever be in that position voluntarily? I can't think of a good reason to do so.

Ok. Now that we've settled this, we can dive.

If you are properly weighted, you should be negative by the weight of your gas ONLY on the surface originally, with all "extra" gas out of the drysuit.

To decend, you partially dump your BC. You are now, for a single tank, -2 or so. You will begin to sink at a controlled rate. As you do, your drysuit will compress. You compensate by taking off the squeeze of the suit. If you overcompensate, the extra gas vents from the open dump. Your decent will be quite controlled, since unlike a wetsuit you do not gain negative buoyancy as you decend, as your suit's volume (as you unsqueeze it) remains a constant. The entire decent, you are only -2 or thereabouts, and as a consequence your decent is quite orderly and controlled. You DO NOT compensate for the decent with the BC - you do that with the suit, since the suit is the major component of your buoyancy that is changing as it squeezes you.

As you approach your desired depth, you stop your decent with the BC. This will require very little air.

When it is time to ascend, do so either horizontally with the arm with the dump (normally the left arm) slightly elevated, or, if you prefer, more upright. If you take your BC control in your left hand, you will naturally elevate the shoulder slightly, which is perfect for automatic dumping of the air from the suit. Control your ascent with the BC deflation control as usual. The suit will take care of itself, since you have set the valve full-open - as you ascend, the extra air will rise to the highest point, which is your arm, and be vented to the surrounding air. If you make a normal controlled ascent, there will be a continuous small flow of bubbles while you are doing so from the deflator valve on the suit.

Very simple and controlled.

I dive for lobster in my drysuit in the wintertime around here, and have no problem with going inverted. Then again, there isn't much air in my suit, so there is no way for it to pop my fins off and turn me into a rocketship.

BTW, if you find yourself with a need to dump air FAST from a drysuit, you can as long as you are upright. Stick your finger down the neck seal and break it loose. You are warned, however, that doing so will intentionally flood the suit at the same time it releases the air - if the water is cold (and why would you be wearing the suit if it was not?) you're gonna get a nice big surprise!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...when are you coming over here to dive next?

YOU asking me that question makes me want to drive over there right now!!
However, I am leaving for two weeks to dive in Monterey, CA on the 14th, so it won't be until the beginning of Oct. The good news is that I'll have 4 days during the week, 'cause we've got guest speakers coming for the entire month of Oct & I need to be finished with a massive amount of video promos before I leave for Monterey. Therefore, out of the goodness of his heart, my boss is giving me 4 extra weekdays in Oct and I plan on spending it on the coast.
Diving.
Would you...
Could we...
But no. I am not worthy to spit in thy mask...

By the way, last time I was there, I drove over in 100+ degree heat, got there in the evening and made a night dive at Seacrest Alki2 with ScubaBob (Bob L). Went right to 103' in my 7mm wetsuit and ended up getting hypothermia (baking hot to sudden cold, plus 103' can squeeze 7mm down a bit). This dive is the reason I bought the dry suit. Looking forward to being warm!

DeepTechScuba once bubbled...
YOU NEED TO TAKE A DRYSUIT CLASS.

The mere fact that you asked the question, and then got an off-the-wall answer about how to counteract an inverted, feet-up position in a drysuit, beggs you to take a drysuit class.

Actually, it was the instructor of the class that told me this! I don't have as much experience as many people on this board, but I have done about 100 dives just this summer, so I'm confortable in the water multi-tasking, and I dion't plan on going down to 100' in current and power-inflating my drysuit. I've nothing against the class, would love to take it, but my schedule won't allow.
And it will soon be cold.
And I just LOVE playing with new gear!!

Rick Inman once bubbled...
it won't be until the beginning of Oct. The good news is that I'll have 4 days during the week
You will probably have the drysuit figured out to your liking by then... so we'll do some boat dives.

Monterey??? I thought that's were the folks who couldn't come up here had to dive. :wink:

Genesis once bubbled...

If you are properly weighted, you should be negative by the weight of your gas ONLY on the surface originally, with all "extra" gas out of the drysuit.

To decend, you partially dump your BC. You are now, for a single tank, -2 or so. You will begin to sink at a controlled rate. As you do, your drysuit will compress. You compensate by taking off the squeeze of the suit. If you overcompensate, the extra gas vents from the open dump. Your decent will be quite controlled, since unlike a wetsuit you do not gain negative buoyancy as you decend, as your suit's volume (as you unsqueeze it) remains a constant. The entire decent, you are only -2 or thereabouts, and as a consequence your decent is quite orderly and controlled. You DO NOT compensate for the decent with the BC - you do that with the suit, since the suit is the major component of your buoyancy that is changing as it squeezes you.

As you approach your desired depth, you stop your decent with the BC. This will require very little air.

When it is time to ascend, do so either horizontally with the arm with the dump (normally the left arm) slightly elevated, or, if you prefer, more upright. If you take your BC control in your left hand, you will naturally elevate the shoulder slightly, which is perfect for automatic dumping of the air from the suit. Control your ascent with the BC deflation control as usual. The suit will take care of itself, since you have set the valve full-open - as you ascend, the extra air will rise to the highest point, which is your arm, and be vented to the surrounding air. If you make a normal controlled ascent, there will be a continuous small flow of bubbles while you are doing so from the deflator valve on the suit.

Very simple and controlled.

This is an exact discription of how it went. I did several feet first assents so I could practice getting out of it, and each time I thought, this is stupid. You'd really have to be WAY over weighted, or extreemly poor at bouyancy control to get into this kind of mess in the first place. And I DID feel much more in control of the descent. And by keeping the squeeze out, there was very little BC control needed. The suit dump valve was wide open, and during assent, by slightly lifting my shoulder, an even stream of air bubbles came out, and with normal BC venting it all went as smooth as an eel's belly.
Just hoping the trim issue will resolve with time (or, as suggested, rearrange the weight placement). Also, I had nothing on under the suit, and I think some long undies might get rid of the seem marks.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Monterey??? I thought that's were the folks who couldn't come up here had to dive. :wink:

Oh, oh. I'll let you know. However, the beaches / camping fit the bill for Mrs. ISUPPORTMYHUSBANDSDIVING, so we'll haul the ol' trailer down there and check it out.
I'll also be making one dive on the TRUTH out of Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands.
I'm sure I'll be able to suffer through...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom