Florida cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob191

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong place, I'm new to this forum. I have my full cave certification and have only been diving in the overhead environment in mexico. I live in Charleston SC and would like to check out what's available in Florida since it's so close. I do not have advanced nitrox or deco training (do have basic nitrox). What are the available dive sites worth visiting without going into planned deco? Where's the best place to find a dive buddy / group interested in doing some weekend diving in Florida or willing to show me around a bit?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, we'll be in the Luraville area December 27th and 28th doing OC dives before we start our rebreather class, and we'd be happy to show you around.

Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park is near Luraville

Peacock has three main entrances and five more windows. Peacock 1 has an ample amount of shallow cave and deco isn't the norm, unless you're on your second 2 hour dive of the day, or unless you spend a lot of time in the well (90 ft deep). It consists of a shallower side on the Peanut Line and a slightly deeper side on the Olsen line. Peacock III is similar to the Olsen side of P1, averaging about 50-55' in depth, unless you go down the line to Hendleys Castle where it quickly drops to 135' then 190', with a deeper tunnel below at around 210'. Orange Grove starts out about the same along the main line, but shallows out as you head back toward the rest of the system, or of you get off onto the branch lines. You can get down to around 100' in the Lower Orange Grove section of the cavern and down to around 170' on the lower Lower Orange Grove line below the cavern.

Cow Spring is also close by and while the up stream side gets down to around 106' (after shallower sections in the 50' and 70 ranges), the downstream side is around 40' on average.

Madison Blue is farther north, about 10 miles east of Madison, but it also offers plenty of shallow cave in the 50-60' range.

Manatee Springs State Parks is 6 miles west of Chiefland. It is a little deeper at around 70-80 ft, but you can do a fair amount of diving there before you get into deco.

Little River is near Branford and it gets down to around 100' fairly quickly but you can do the areas of the cave around the mud tunnel, short cut, serpentine and merry go round tunnels all the way up to the Florida room with out getting into decompression, or at least not more than a few minutes of deco.

Ginnie Springs is near High Springs and it gets down to around 90', but there is plenty of shallower cave in the front portion of the cave around the gallery, the catacombs, the lips and key hole by passes, and along the main line in those sections. Plus it get shallower along the hill 400 line and on the line to July springs, so there's a lot of diving that can be done with no deco or not more than 5 minutes of deco. We'll usually take O2 along, but if we've got 5 minutes or less of deco on back gas, we won't bother using it, and that's the norm for a first dive of the day with reasonable sized tanks and no stage.

Jug Hole is located in Ichetucknee State Park. It's a smallish cave with a bit of a restriction a hundred feet in before getting into the good bits, but it's a great\ dive and is fairly shallow on average. You'd have to work at it to get into deco there.

Those are the major touristy caves in the area and make for a good introduction to N FL cave diving.

Peacock and Madison are good as long as you're on nitrox.

Cow can be good if you don't go past the Not My Fault fracture.

Little River, Ginnie, Manatee will likely get you into deco if you do a dive of any duration.

While I personally think Jug is one of the most beautiful caverns around the area, the cave has a bedding plane restriction that should be done on side-mount.

BTW -- flow is going to be different than what you're used to in Mexico. The flow in Peacock won't be a problem, but the rest of those sites will, errr, be a bit interesting.

Drop me a PM before you come down and I'll be happy to take you on a dive in Peacock.

Ken

I second or third what was already posted. I am in Mt. Holly, NC and willing to split the gas and lodging and show you around. Hit me up with a PM and we can make some plans. I know my way around North Fla and have great rapport with the shops there.

You may find there are somethings you may need to plan for in Florida that you don't in Mexcio. Water is colder, so thicker exposure protection is used, and more weighting may be needed if using aluminum tanks. Most Florida cave divers use steel tanks, and your rig needs to compensate for that.

All good recommendations. I'd also add Jackson Blue in Marianna to the listing of sites in FL if you want to swing out that way. Of the ones mentioned, I'd make it second only to Ginnie on my list.

Reactions: Jax
We'll be at JB and on the mill pond this weekend if your in the area. The horseshoe circuit in JB is good for no deco and a great passage. JB gets to 90' quick so deco is very likely. Tony, let me know if your in the area this weekend.

Sorry but due a family members death, I will not be able to make it down until next year. Thanks for the invite and look forward to diving together again soon. I will make the New Years day / night dive at PDRA.

Thanks for all the great replies! I'll be in Vermont for the holidays from this Thursday - Jan 5th and then busy the next few days after that but sometime in Jan I'd like to check things out. I use an 8mm full wetsuit with built in hood so I don't think it gets any thicker than that unless I get a drysuit. I'm aware of the weight differences as well, I'm down to around 4-6 lbs of weight right now with that suit so I can remove some of that to account for the heavier tanks without requiring more lift from my wing although the increased depths my compress the thick wetsuit more and require more lift. Also someone mentioned requiring sidemount for one of the restrictions, no problem there, that is what I'm using.

Tony - sorry for your loss

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom