Florida in January conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dave

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a week or so of diving in Florida this January, but a dive buddy told me that conditions in John Pennekamp park and all along the Keys are kind of iffy in the winter. Can anyone here confirm or deny this, or shed some light on the subject.

Thanks,
David

It tends to be rougher, on average, than in summer. Water temps should be in the low to mid 70s.

Those of us that live down here dive all year round. Thems the breaks. :crafty:

Diving Dave:
I'm thinking about doing a week or so of diving in Florida this January, but a dive buddy told me that conditions in John Pennekamp park and all along the Keys are kind of iffy in the winter. Can anyone here confirm or deny this, or shed some light on the subject.

Two years now, spent the week after Christmas diving out of Tavernier. Only blown off one day out of 10.

how about key largo thanksgiving? (water temps and vis)

Dave,

Last year between Christmas and New Years diving in Key Largo, the water temps were 68-73 degrees. The visibility was 35-50 feet. Not near as good as the previous visit just before Thanksgiving 2002, but still very enjoyable.

Wristshot

Winter hits South Florida somewhere during the end of November and lasts until the end of May. It can come or go within two weeks of these times.

Generally, in October, the water slowly starts to cool down from reaching a high in August of about 85 - 87 on the surface. The likely temperature in Key Largo will be between 75 to 80 in the end of November, probably closer to the 75 mark.

By January, it will be 72 to 74 on the surface. Starting in April, it warms up a degree a week until peaking again in the Summer.

Thanks scubadad.

Diving Dave:

Thanks,
David
compared to new england and the behring sea/conditions are fantastic 70-72 degrees/seas 2-15 feet depend on windspeed that day/week.water clarity good to excellent :wink:

Back
Top Bottom