Florida Keys -- water temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temp at Looe Key was 71° F yesterday (Jan 16) - Visibility was 35 feet and improving.

Thanks to everyone who has been providing this info.

I'm back in chilly California and it wounds me deeply every time I see a new posting that the Florida waters are in the 70s ... sigh. The waters I'm facing to dive right now are in the 40-50 range.

We'll be back in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) in May 2002 for OceanFest. We also hope to make a side trip to the Navy SEAL Museum in Ft. Pierce.

Regards,
Margaret

Hey Margeret!

My wife and I did our first California dives a couple of weeks ago. We dove out of Ventura on the Peace. The day was sunny and warm The water was a balmy 49 degrees. But since we always take all all dive gear with us (including dry suits) we really enjoyed the experience.

We both love Florida diving and have dives in the Ft. Lauderdale area too. I may have a chance to return to California in the coming weeks. Availilble for some California diving? Enjoy your Florida experiences!

The water temperature this morning off of Davis Reef in approximately 75 ft. of water was 71. The temperature at Davis was 73 degrees. I wore a 3mm steamer and a 7 mm shorty was was a bit over heated. Yesterday the temps were in the 70 - 71 range on the Eagle and I used only the 7 mm shorty and a hood. It was ideal. If you don't get chilled easily then a full 7mm suit will be too much.

Margaret,

Being from the Bay area, I too do most of my diving in Monterey, and if you are used to these waters, then I don’t think you’ll have a problem diving in Florida with a 3mm suit.

When we went to the Keys last year, the water temperature was in the low to mid seventies and we were very comfortable diving in a 3mm shortie, but then again, we don’t tend to get cold that easy.

Also, a shortie will not protect your arms and legs if you happen to rub against a fire coral for example. (Another lesson learn the hard way) but other than that, I still prefer a shortie over a full suit for warm water diving.

Have a great trip.

Triton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom