Florida Spring Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm assuming the mill pond just north of Marianna is the one you're talking about. there isn't any worthwhile open water diving there... there is one hell of a cave, though. Jackson Blue is huge and magnificent. Twin caves (small, very silty entrance) and "hole in the wall" are also off the mill pond.
Rick

Rick, do you have any motel info for Marianna?

I didn't know how the daving was, just that I saw it in the book and I know where it is. Besides Vortex, Morrison, and cypress do you know of any places to dive near Tally?

There are several motels in Marianna - can't remember the name of the place I stayed in last, but it was ok and not too expensive - on the main drag near the west end of town. To get into the mill pond, you must check in with the Sheriff, pay a fee, and show them your cave or cavern C-card. Sheriff's office is on the west end of town. (Mill pond is northeast of town)
-----------
In addition to the springs in the Tallahassee area (there are several - Wakulla is most famous but getting permission to dive there can be a pain - I haven't been there so don't know details - you might check in with the WKPP folks ), a dive that's worth the effort near Tallahassee is out of Port St. Joe - the Empire Mica. She was torpedoed by the Germans in WWII, and she's starting to collapse - seems the whole ship is suddenly corroding to the point of weakness - so if you want to see her before she's just a pile of rubble you need to do so within the next few years.
Rick

hey Rick or any one else for that matter, do you know if they have a book to GA dive sites like the FL book ??????????

I'm with Scubanole, if anyone knows of a book on GA diving, point me in the general direction.
Thanks,
-Parrot

scubanole,
Just east of Talla, there is Orange Grove sink, located in the Peacock Springs state park. Only $5.00 to dive there. The water gets to 60 feet there. If you enter the mouth of the cavern you can drop down to about 85 feet. Quite a bit of cave divers there, but they don't tool around in the Basin. State park rules don't allow lights unless you are a certified cavern or cave. It's a nice 68 degrees with excellent clarity. Just about 15 miles from there is Royal Springs. It's an okay dive too. I do most of my diving around there, because the location is only about 30 miles or so. Plus there is a dive shop right by Peacock springs.

thanks madder. I am in Cairo, GA and was wondering about anything closer than Vortex, Morrison, and Cypress. I plan to dive some at Mexico Beach (father-in-law has a boat). how far is Royal Spring from Tally (hrs).

thanks

Paul

You already got the info on DeLoach's book, an excellent dive reference, I highly recommend it. I tried Devil's Den, thought it sucked. Like diving in a dirty fish bowl.

Originally posted by wcoyote
To all of you SCUBA Guru's out there, I am looking for a book or magazine that gives me a good bit of info on Florida Springs and the accommodations that are available either at the site or in the vicinity.

As well as any recomendations on a few good spring dives for the north/central FL area. Cert: OW (dive buddy)/ AOW (me)

TIA

It doesn't matter which springs you intend to visit. Make sure you are with a guide for some cavern diving if your not certified. The caves, don't go there without training. People die!!! Its really easy to want to go, but a quick silt out, its all over except the arrangements. All you have to do is read some info on accident analasis you will see why. Not to be nasty its just the truth. Be safe!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom