Fluid in the ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
;-0 For about six weeks sound has been muffled in my right ear. It feels like one ear is "cleared" and the other is not. Some days it is bad and others I don't even notice. I don't feel any pain it is just frustrating to not hear well from my right ear.

I've made two trips to my family doctor who says I have fluid trapped in my middle ear but no infection. He has prescribed be Panamist (p-ephed w/ guaifen), Amoxicil (Augmentin 500mg), and a steriod. All seem to help but not eliminate the problem.

I'm going to see an ENT on Monday as I am flying to Costa Rica for a dive trip on Wednesday.

Do you have any advice or feedback on my ability to fly and dive?

Thank you for your help.

Will

PS: I understand that in no way is your response medical advice or a substitue for me seeing a doctor.

Serous otitis media, an accumulation of fluid in the middle ear that does not drain properly due to blockage of the Eustachian tube, can result in such symptoms.

When it is persistent, antibiotics may be prescribed to prevent infection, as well drugs designed to assist in clearing the fluid. This has been done in your case.

The ENT whom you are scheduled to see will be in the best position to advise you on both flying & diving.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Thank you Doc for the reply. Do you think I need to be concerned that I won't be able to make the trip?

Thanks again.

Will

I have the same exact problem. Went to my GP and said I had fluid and gave me Zyrtec D to try and decongest it. Again, some days are worse than others. My doc didn't seem to concerned. Are there long-term considerations with this, or is the only risk eventually getting an ear infection?

Bill.

I appreciate your concern about the matter and would like to be encouraging, but the truth is that based solely on your report I really do not know.

I can tell you is that there are some concerns about diving with an unresolved case of fluid in the middle ear, and to repeat that the ENT is the right professional to make the call.

Best of luck & please do report on what is recommended.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom