Flying in a bi-plane post dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

I did a search around and couldn’t find any information about this.

Looking at the DAN website it says:

They apply to air dives followed by flights at cabin altitudes of 2,000 to 8,000 feet (610 to 2,438 meters) for divers who do not have symptoms of DCS.

Does going in a bi-plane for 15 minutes with a max cruising altitude of 2500-3000ft without a pressurized cabin increase or decrease my chances for DCS?

I’ll be doing three dives the day before I fly.

930am = 30-40m dive

1130am = 20m dive

1pm = 20m dive.

I then fly at 10am the next day. Which will be around 21 hours post final dive.

I know some say 18 hours for multi level and others say 24 hours.

I checked with the dive shop and they said I’ll be fine.

But was curious about bi plane vs “normal” plane when it comes to DCS.

I might also stay at 20m for all three dives tomorrow as the first is the Blue Hole in belize and I don’t see the point in going deeper.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

Not an issue at that altitude. Enjoy, hope its a Stearman?

A normal plane limits the effective pressure altitude to no greater than 8000 ft. If the max altitude is below that, there's no difference in the pressure decrease.

Assuming these are NDL dives, you are well within the guidelines from DAN (Americas) of 18 hrs. This even assumes an elevation change much greater than you will have, so there is additional margin there. Have fun!

I'm not sure this is covered by DAN accident insurance though...
1713971355799.png

Hey everyone,

I did a search around and couldn’t find any information about this.

Looking at the DAN website it says:

Does going in a bi-plane for 15 minutes with a max cruising altitude of 2500-3000ft without a pressurized cabin increase or decrease my chances for DCS?

I’ll be doing three dives the day before I fly.

930am = 30-40m dive

1130am = 20m dive

1pm = 20m dive.

I then fly at 10am the next day. Which will be around 21 hours post final dive.

I checked with the dive shop and they said I’ll be fine.

But was curious about bi plane vs “normal” plane when it comes to DCS.

I might also stay at 20m for all three dives tomorrow as the first is the Blue Hole in belize and I don’t see the point in going deeper.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe
You'd be at less risk in an unpressurized cockpit at 3000 feet above sea level than in a commercial airliner, but depending on what type of terrain you're flying over you might end up at a higher altitude. It would be worth clarifying (a) whether that 2500-3000 feet is AGL (above ground level) or MSL (mean sea level), and (b) if it's AGL, what the anticipated MSL altitude is.

Best regards,
DDM

It will be OK. There are bigger risks after the last dive that will make a bigger difference. What you have to drink, how hot of a shower you take, etc.

The guidelines are generic one size fits all guidelines, not rule, not laws. Nothing magically happen at exactly 23:59 after the last dive.

My only bi-plane ride was a Great Lakes. Here is your parachute. If you need it, pull the handle like you see in the cartoons. G-forces in excess of any roller coaster I have ever been on. The G-meter on the dash was neat. For about a year I had a calibrated butt and could tell you G-numbers of roller coasters after that. Rolls, loops, flat spins, good fun aerobatics ride. Didn't mind the negative Gs, just didn't like the zero G at the transition.

DAN Americas and PADI in the 18 hour camp. DAN Europe is in the 24 hour camp. Having gone through countless threads on this topic in the near 20 years I have been on ScubaBoard, I am in the 18 hour camp myself. I wouldn't be at all concerned if I were doing it.

Nope. DAN covers accidents IN the water.
Not exclusively. Some DAN plans cover some non-diving accidents. Though I'm going to put my money on no coverage for that biplane wing-walking thing.

Flying restrictions are more in case of explosive decompression, than cabin altitude itself.
Even not diving beforehand does not mean you're safe.

Back
Top Bottom