Flying question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go from low elevation to higher altitudes (ie. above 300 metres/1000ft) it's strongly recommended to wait 6 hours before diving...is this what you're thinking about?

I've never heard that one before (but there's lots I've never heard before) Can you quote a source? Isn't that the same as taking off in a plane? Or do you mean if you are diving at altitude - mountain lake or something like that.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the physics. at 1000 feet you're at about .03 bar decrease in air pressure (which appears to be about the same pressure change as a 1 foot change in depth of water). I know that NDLs are less at altitude, however is that initial pressure difference at the start of the dive (assuming you haven't off gassed enough to reach an equilibrium yet) really going to make a difference?

My personal best is around 2 hours from plane to water.

One of my friends has a personal best of two and a half MINUTES...Navy Seal, from the back of a C130. lol

Actually, for recreational diving, DAN recommends anywhere from 12 to 18 hours depending on how much diving you have been doing. Of course more time doesn't hurt.

To the best of my knowledge this applies to flying AFTER diving. The OP's question was for diving AFTER flying. There should be no additional DECOMPRESSION issue with an ascent to altitude (flight), then a descent to sea level (landing) and then a descent below sea level (dive). There is a potential FATIGUE issue associated with airline travel. Mitigating the fatigue issue varies on numerous factors and doesn't fit into a neat little "wait X hours" guideline.

Diving at altitude is a different issue entirely and is well covered in other posts here on SB.

To the best of my knowledge this applies to flying AFTER diving. The OP's question was for diving AFTER flying.

It does apply to flying after diving. I was responding to freewillie's post with my response. I understood the OP's question.

It does apply to flying after diving. I was responding to freewillie's post with my response. I understood the OP's question.

BDSC, My apologies. I must have been distracted and missed what you were responding to.

...flying after diving need to wait 24 hours.
Nope, incorrect, not true, changed over a decade ago but the rumor persists.

Haha, good question! Because I mixed up the 24 hours rule :)
The 'wait for 24 hours, then fly'-policy was locked in my brain. The other way around wasn't.
I've never been diving a day after flying, so never came across it.
Thank you all for answering!
DAN does not have a 24 hour rule - for anything. Dive as soon as you want to. Flying after diving has 12 & 18 hour rules.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom