Flying with a Revo (mini) in the cabin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have an Atlantic flight with two checked bags included to 23kg/50lbs and cannot get a bag heavier than that but the Revo Mini plus Pelicase is 26kg/57.2lbs.

According to BA/British Airways I can sod off and send it as cargo, or pay $2000 to upgrade to business. An additional 23kg/50lb bag would cost $350 return!

The thought therefore occurs which is to take the Revo as cabin baggage. I think it'll fit in the locker size allowance (do need to measure it up properly).

Who would give me more grief, security or the airline? The one small issue is if they insist on it being checked which means I don't have a box to wrap around it.

What do you lot think?

Wear it like a backpack with the cylinders off and a rain fly on.

@macado has since upgraded his units, but this was an older article of his:

I took my stand off and wore it as a backpack

Get another pelicase and throw some of the components into that one?
Or is the 23kg limit combined for both of your checked bags?

I know the Micro will fit as a carry on. Mini will need to be measured up. The handle may need to come off.
My micro has been my carry on before, and will be again in a couple of weeks.

Pay a little extra for early boarding, don't want to run out of overhead storage space and pass it off as a gate check.

So I've flown a bunch of times with the rEvo as a carry-on. I just shucked it in overhead bin. International flights, domestic flights - I did not have any issues but there was one time where they almost told me it needed to go into checked bagbage (because of what it was) and I had to argue with them. I also bought one of those fancy SF Tech neoprene covers to replace my "grill" cover I was using before.

Of course the downside is you risk them running out of overhead space and then you're forced to check it into the cargo hold with no protection at all which would not be good.

I'm no longer traveling with my rEvo as frequently but I ultimately went back to putting it inside a hard Pelican case and paying the excess bag fee. It was not worth the risk to me not being able to fit it into carry-on and having to check it unprotected. Definitely pay for priority boarding if you want to gamble / risk it.

I've been poking around inside wrecklessdiver for a few years now dude, it's magnificent!

My rEvo only travels by car and by back

I really should finalise the reconstitution

IMG_3190.JPG

I've been poking around inside wrecklessdiver for a few years now dude, it's magnificent!

My rEvo only travels by car and by back
Thanks! I am really really bad about updating it. I just finished 3 weeks of dive trips; I should really start updating it and writing some more rants about the scuba industry.

I start writing something in drafts only to figure nobody reads this sh*t and I stop. :)

Thanks all; much appreciated.

Have a diving trip with the rebreather and sidemount rig. Obviously no cylinders.

I've stomped up for "premium economy" which includes two 23kg/50lb checked bags plus one overhead bag and one underseat bag.

Previously when flying with the unit I put the Revo in a Pelicase but that weighed in at 26kg/57lbs which *some* airlines will set their limits at, not BA who'll seize the opportunity for some Olympic-class gouging.

Definitely need to do some measuring and weighing. And search for a suitable backpack cover to keep the "normies" less worried. At least I'll be able to leave the computers on the unit. I guess leaving the loop on might be going a little too far!

Thanks all; much appreciated.

Have a diving trip with the rebreather and sidemount rig. Obviously no cylinders.

I've stomped up for "premium economy" which includes two 23kg/50lb checked bags plus one overhead bag and one underseat bag.

Previously when flying with the unit I put the Revo in a Pelicase but that weighed in at 26kg/57lbs which *some* airlines will set their limits at, not BA who'll seize the opportunity for some Olympic-class gouging.

Definitely need to do some measuring and weighing. And search for a suitable backpack cover to keep the "normies" less worried. At least I'll be able to leave the computers on the unit. I guess leaving the loop on might be going a little too far!
Can you remove 3kg of brass, etc. from the pelican case and put it in the other/carryon?

Back
Top Bottom