Flying with a Revo (mini) in the cabin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pelican is heavier, but on a recent trip to Bikini with 3 x micro's the pelican looked pristine and the 2 x samsung's looked heavily scuffed/battered up, I think it's a crumple safe zone of the samsung's versus heavier and smaller armour-all approach of the pelican, there's no right answer except the samsung contained the micro's with the revo stand and they weighed a little more.

That's a fair point. And maybe worth contemplating the evolution of automobile safety. Cars used to have very strong bumpers. Nowadays, they have very soft bumpers. Because having the outside crumple is actually safer for the contents.

Or, in other words, is the Pelican case to be considered "better" just because it is only scuffed?

When I bought my Samsonite, my expectation was that it was expendable. I figured I'd have to replace it every now and then, as it got cracks/splits in the exterior or whatever. I'm okay with that, for the savings in purchase price and in weight. Fortunately, it has held up far better than I would have ever thought. No damage beyond scuffs/rub marks yet.

1637 Pelican is my choice. It holds a mini rEvo, inverted stand (need to take it off) and a lot of other stuff. I pay extra to squeeze more weight. My rationale is simple - I am going on vacation with a rebreather. $200 for the luggage won't be the item that kills the trip's bill.

I also carry insurance, so if the Pelican case comes out chewed up and broken, it may help the argument that I did my best to protect the equipment.

I travel with my rEvo micro 2 or 3 times a year in a 2720 Pelican case. I take the stand off and carry on the cell tray, computers and loop and it comes in at 49.5lbs. If I am sitting in the front of the plane then I add my tools, loop and some other misc stuff and it goes about 58lbs. I put a "rider" on my homeowners insurance policy. Been doing this since 2017 with no issues.

I travel with my rEvo micro 2 or 3 times a year in a 2720 Pelican case. I take the stand off and carry on the cell tray, computers and loop and it comes in at 49.5lbs. If I am sitting in the front of the plane then I add my tools, loop and some other misc stuff and it goes about 58lbs. I put a "rider" on my homeowners insurance policy. Been doing this since 2017 with no issues.
How does the rider help on your homeowner's insurance? Is it if it is stolen or also damaged or lost in checked luggage?

How does the rider help on your homeowner's insurance? Is it if it is stolen or also damaged or lost in checked luggage?
yes, in case the pelican case and machine "disappear when I'm flying.

I am going through everything right now getting ready for a United flight.
Micro is 54cm tall with handle, limit is 56cm
Width (no tanks) 35cm, limit is 36cm
Depth is 22cm (CE version with harness and wing), limit is 23cm.

It is going carry on. Tanks will go checked. I have done carry on with tanks on a Southwest flight before. Don't know if the rules are a little more lax or if I just got lucky with being oversized and not noticed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom