Focus Light and Color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a BossK FF 3x5 LED focus light for my G9 setup. This is a pretty bright focus light at high power and I wonder how much this will scare fish with the bright white color. I think the lower power will be more than sufficient in most cases.

I've considered adding a gel film to warm up the color a bit. The focus assist light on the G9 is bright green. Does anyone have any info on color and its affect on a camera's ability to auto-focus???

Chuck

I have the weaker version of that focus light (1 x5W), and while it works very well, I find it scares away the creatures. I was also considering adding some sort of red filter onto the front. Some manufacturers have red filters available for their focus lights.

On most dives I used a weaker light to find my subjects, and then I turned this light on when I wanted to get a shot. In most cases I was able to get a few shots before the creature went back into hiding, but for some creatures such as brittle stars, it's too bright. OTOH, some creatures weren't scared of it at all (octopus).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom