foggy mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tribaltim:
You should put some Sea Drops in it before every dive and make sure you do it and let it dry for a few minutes then right before you get in the water rinse it out and put it on. You should be good to go....hope this helps.......Sea Drops rule and so does Mares X-Vision

tim, sea drops is not available here in this country. I agree though, X-Vision is fantastic :)

Not cleaning, just defogging.
My mask gets cleaned after every dive by rinsing in fresh water.

the K

Good for them!

I haven't been so lucky.

Just my experience.

Others' my vary.

But if there's a method by which one can make just two applications per year to prevent a mask from fogging up, then it's a very well kept secret around these parts!

the K

Interesting you should mention the X-Vision. I find myself having to clean mine with toothpaste once a day. I do mean clean, especially if I've put it in the mask case. I've got 2 of them and they are both the same. I also defog of course, before each dive. My other back up ScubaPro mask does not do this, in fact thiese are the only masks I've ever had a problem with. Could it be the type of silicone in the skirt?

hi corrupted
the masks are covered by a protectant for a longer shelf life.
that is why we use toothpaste on the leneses after we buy them, to remove this film.
after that, use a defogging compound before every dive
the reason the mask fogs is because of the tempreature difference
between the water and the temp inside the mask.
i have tried many defogging products, and found that the spit works the best.
i lick the end of my fingers and rub it into the lenses, both inside and outside. then rinse
if the mask still fogs, then the protectant has not been fully removed.
hope this helps!

I know all of this has already been said in some form or another.....So, try cleaning your mask once more inside with toothpaste (the gel type doesn't work as well), rinse, and before each dive/snorkel use a combination of baby shampoo and water inside the mask - rub it around well - rinse with salt or fresh water. Hope this helps.

I did give it a good cleaning today. I used dish soap (the sticky liquidy kind not the powder) and snorkeled today. It fogged up once after about 15 mins of usage (as opposed to 5 mins before today's defogging), so I used the spit method and it stopped fogging up all except the right lens,top right hand corner. So I came home today and gave that same foggy part a good defogging. Lets see tomorrow. But other than the top right hand corner on the right lens, everything was A ok. Now lets see if I can get away with 2 defoggings per year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom