Food and things to do in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firedogut

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and i will be in cozumel may 14-22nd and we need places to eat. we will be staying at Hotel Cozumel so we are looking for places that we can walk to maybe a cab ride every few days. I have seen christi's post about this but i do not know the area so the address mean nothing to me. maybe you all can help. (good web site with a map?)

also we need ideas of what else to do. we are both divings and big outdoor people. Hose back riding, bikes, and other stuff. what should we not miss.

should we rent a car or better a moped to get to a few places. Is a moped enough?

so everyone who has been there alot i would love your input. We are also looking to snorkel a little in the afternoons after our dives. where are the top places.

wow i can't wait until the 14th. it has been a very rough year i we need this time away.

-john and christy

:popcorn: You just opened a can of worms... Universally almost everyone will tell you NOT to rent a scooter. Unless you know your way around it is too dangerous. Traffic laws and patterns are different than the US. Do a search, there are plenty of threads on this.

Another thing that we will all agree on is this: Cozumel Map

Staying at Hotel Cozumel you are close enough to walk to most of the good restaurants (except for those way back in the hood).

Renting a car to go to the East side is a "must-do", just don't drink too much. Coconuts is my favorite over there but Chen Rio, Mezcalito's and a few others will get a lot of votes from other people.

firedogut:
My wife and i will be in cozumel may 14-22nd and we need places to eat. we will be staying at Hotel Cozumel so we are looking for places that we can walk to maybe a cab ride every few days. I have seen christi's post about this but i do not know the area so the address mean nothing to me. maybe you all can help. (good web site with a map?)

also we need ideas of what else to do. we are both divings and big outdoor people. Hose back riding, bikes, and other stuff. what should we not miss.

should we rent a car or better a moped to get to a few places. Is a moped enough?

so everyone who has been there alot i would love your input. We are also looking to snorkel a little in the afternoons after our dives. where are the top places.

wow i can't wait until the 14th. it has been a very rough year i we need this time away.

-john and christy

PLEASE DO NOT RENT MOPEDS! That is the worst thing you can do! I am a local and I ride one as a means of transportation...I've lived here for six years...I know the traffic laws, traffic patterns, the way the locals drive, where all the potholes are, etc. Even so, I am literally afraid to ride it anymore. I am trying to get a car so I can get OFF the moped.

If you want to rent transportation...get something with FOUR wheels. Rentadora ISIS is my choice. Av. 4 between Calle 2 and Calle 4...YELLOW building.

firedogut:

San Miguel (the only town on Cozumel) is pretty small; any restaurant you pick will be at most a short cab ride away. The cab drivers know all the restaurants; just get in and tell them which one you want to go to. You won't need the address. Alternatively, you can just start at the plaza and just walk around until you see something interesting.

firedogut:
Christi's list is very good. Here are a few more places that I really like:

Pancho's Backyard - Behind Cinco Soles on Melgar (the waterfront street) a few blocks north of the plaza. All the food I have had there is very good, but the standout is the cream of cilantro soup. Elegant atmosphere.

El Capi Navegante - A couple of blocks from the water a little south of the Plaza. The Shrimp Capi is wonderful; it's shrimp cooked in orange juice, Pernod, brandy, garlic, and butter. They cook it at the table.

La Morena - A few doors south of Capi. What I like best there is the squid stuffed with spinach and garlic.

La Perlita - Back in the residential section, so take a cab. They have some of the best seafood on the island, IMO. Pulpo in su tinta (octopus in its ink), YUM!

La Veranda - about a half block off the water a block or two north of the plaza. Beautiful courtyard restaurant with a gazebo and fountain. Great food, too.

13 days and counting...

I agree with all of the above...gotta get the map I have been many times to Cozumel but I always take that map it is worth the 8.00 bucks it will give you all the information you are looking for...use it along with Christi's list and Gordon's recommendations you can't go wrong

Boy, I wish we had gotten the name of the restaurant we liked best. It was a small place, just down the street from a pharmacy, and it had the most incredible fish cooked in a spicy red sauce. We liked it so well we went back a second time.

We found that the further you got from the water, the better the food was.

TSandM:
We found that the further you got from the water, the better the food was.

TSandM I couldn't agree with you more. La parrilla mission on 30th ave was great. Altho I also enjoyed the food at Casa Dennis just by the square.
Eric

There is a couple of places south (away from town) of your hotel that are within walking distance for a pleasant breakfast or lunch. On the water side of the street approximately 1/4 mile is Rondezblu, right next to Caribe Blu hotel. Go up the stairs, little restaurant sits right on the water for a great view while you eat. Continuing south a short distance on the opposite side of the road is Papa Hogs Cafe. Coffee for a buck, good meal and a view of the sea and street.
Check the poster at the museum entrance for shows that might be available during your visit. Earlier this month they had an acoustic guitar concert. You might be lucky and see something unforgettable. We like to fly kites when we go to the east side.
Have a great vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom