Food around the Caleta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It looks like we will be running back and forth to the Caleta this time, and as I remember, the opportunities for food out there are pretty limited. My information is over a year old, however, and I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this. We will probably have a couple of days when the operator goes back into the caleta to retank/etc. before heading out for the third dive of the day, and lunch options weren't plentiful the last time I was out there. Any ideas? Woody

It looks like we will be running back and forth to the Caleta this time, and as I remember, the opportunities for food out there are pretty limited. My information is over a year old, however, and I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this. We will probably have a couple of days when the operator goes back into the caleta to retank/etc. before heading out for the third dive of the day, and lunch options weren't plentiful the last time I was out there. Any ideas? Woody

There's nothing like that in the caleta itself, but if you go out to the main road and north a little ways to the La Ceiba/El Cid/ cruise ship dock area, there are some places where you can get something to eat.

is usually still there mid day over by the banos. There is another stand just pass the security guard. Empanadas, tacos, huevos, not sure about tortas.

Woody,

If that's the case, have them drop you off on the way back to the Caleta at the Fiesta Americana, Dzul Ha, Corona Bar, maybe even the Presidente if they let you. You have a nice lunch while they re-tank ect. They pick you up on the way back out. I hate the Caleta, never any food or cabs usually. If going back to the Caleta after diving I have them drop me off at a pier to get a cab. It's much easier and quicker for you, and you are the customer after all.

Enjoy
Rich

Most shops would not have a problem with dropping you off at a beach club then picking you back up after they reload. It is true the Caleta is not the most user friendly harbor around. The entry points are marginal and the parking is limited. The little food stand by the restrooms is open till 2 ish and the food is really quite good. It's a dump by US standards but then again the hot chicken sandwich is only 18 pesos about $1.20 US and fills you up quite nicely. I eat there all the time. There is a second place just to the left of the entry that looks kinda like a house. They have empanadas and other things almost all day.
The services in the Caleta have greatly improved over the last 18 months but still has a lot to be desired. I am not sure what effect the new harbor next door will have on our existing harbor. It certainly is tearing a big hole in the jungle.

And what about tearing a hole in Paradise also?

I agree...have them drop you off at Fiesta Americana, Money Bar (formerly Dzul-Ha), or they can even come around the point and drop you off at Caribe Blu, Casa Del Mar (Ernestos), or Villa Blanca for Hogtown Cafe. That's what we typically do for the three-tankers. With Money Bar's new pier, that's now a great option as they have a daily "divers special" lunch for $90 to $100 pesos I think...it's alot better than what you would get in the caletta :)

There's nothing like that in the caleta itself, but if you go out to the main road and north a little ways to the La Ceiba/El Cid/ cruise ship dock area, there are some places where you can get something to eat.

I like having a beer with the guys who work there at the Caleta when we come back from a day of diving. They give you your can of beer with dried chiles and a little salt sprinkled around the top of the can. Really good.

if you are adventueous, ask the guys on your boat. i have seen a roach coach in there from time to time.

I like having a beer with the guys who work there at the Caleta when we come back from a day of diving. They give you your can of beer with dried chiles and a little salt sprinkled around the top of the can. Really good.

I've done that, too, with the fishing crews. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom