Food to eat before and in between dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love having a nice hardy multigrain bagel between dives. Chew it well and its easy on the stomach.

I usually have a protein shake (with soy milk) before we leave for the boat.
On the boat, I usually take orange slices. They always seem so sweet after a dive.

LMAO thats only when they are fishing.
Actually it's on any boat. The myth started form the days of transporting bananas by boat which always seemed to contain poisonous spiders and the like. Many sailors and deckhands fell ill and died due to bites from the spiders other the month long voyages. Most times it was not known why the men were dying so this started the superstition.
I found this which is close enough to what I said.
Why No Bananas? The Fuzzy Reel
Now fishermen being a superstitious bunch latched on to this. I had a captain once toss my banana boat sunscreen overboard and after another few fishless hours asked me if I was wearing any fruit-of-the-loom underwear which has a picture of a banana on the label!!!!

I do not allow bananas on my boat. But any pictures, baked goods containing bananas and references or pictures are fine.

Sorry for the hijack, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Absolutely do not let the captain see any bananas on his boat.

:rofl3: I almost forgot about that thread/superstition!

Anyway, I try to avoid anything that is acidic in any way shape or form. ie. Tomatos. Maybe it's just a personal thing, but if I eat anything with tomato in it I'm bound to get sick underwater.

Before and during diving I try to stick to lots of water, peanut butter on crackers, pita chips/bread, bananas, granola, apples, chicken sandwich (if I really must eat a "real" meal), bagel w/cream cheese, string cheese, watermelon or any other low or non-acidic fruit or bread type foods.

Also, as said in other posts, if you're a regular coffee drinker in the morning by all means make sure you get your regular fix or else you're going to hate yourself when you start going through withdrawl at depth!:doh2:

Nothing gassy.
I went diving with a guy who had sauerkraut for lunch, and lets say later that evening he was musical coming up :D

:rofl3: I almost forgot about that thread/superstition!

Anyway, I try to avoid anything that is acidic in any way shape or form. ie. Tomatos. Maybe it's just a personal thing, but if I eat anything with tomato in it I'm bound to get sick underwater.

Same here, but with orange juice. Otherwise I drink it like it is going out of style!

Nothing gassy.
I went diving with a guy who had sauerkraut for lunch, and lets say later that evening he was musical coming up :D
makes finning easier

Back
Top Bottom