For Drysuits - Is there something bad about normal thermal u-wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dl348:
I use underarmor, anything that has good wicking properties can be used.
Thats what i wear under my Bare T100 , i'm wondering about the underarmor cold gear for just a little extra on colder days.

ClayJar:
Okay, let me preface this by saying I have no information on what "Polypro" is. If it's a brand name for a type of polyester, the following does not apply. That said...

Polypropylene is *not* a polyester. The functional unit in polypropylene contains only three carbon atoms and six hydrogen atoms. Obviously, without any oxygen atoms involved, there is no ester.
I'll agree with ClayJar here and add that the tags in my Helly Hanson Lifa underwear (polypro) say polypropylene as do the tags in an old pair of Walmart polypros, whereas the tags in my Patagonia Capilene and North Face base layers say polyester.

Total blend depending on conditions. For less than 45 dgree water I wear the Bare CT-200's-costly ....yes...but flooded drysuit due to leaky glove at 43 degrees and still hade good dive and made second dive. Temps above i wear combo's of long underwear to conditions. Layering is the key!

Thinsulate and Polartec garments also keep you warm in an emergency situation such as a suit flood. However you can purchase the Thinsulate 400 and Polartec 300 for a good price from Cabelas. I went with their tactical line of Polartec (only because their tactical line gave a detailed specifications and temperature) I used their level two as my second layer (if required and worn underneath my primary layer), and their level four as my primary layer. In response to the comment below my primary layer is coveralls with a pullover, so the wories about a cold midsection.

I don't wear the diving suits, but the big advantage I can see is that they are one piece...

I wear fleece pants and a jacket or vest over polypro long underwear. Sometimes the fleece shifts, and my midsection gets exposed to the cold suit. Not fun, and can't fix it underwater.

I fixed it by adding velcro to the shirt and pants, so they stay put, and don't ride up or down. I also added foot loops to my fleece pants, so they are easy to get in the drysuit.

All in all I'm not sure the purchase of 4 pieces of clothing (jacket/pants, and long underwear) is a whole lot cheaper, but at least I can wear the stuff skiing and camping.

JKSteger:
BTW, I see your in Atlanta, come out the the New Years day dive at West BAnk Park at Lake Lanier. Theres a big group of us Lake Lanier Looney Birds going to be out there Monday.
J:

Yeah, I'd like to hook up with you guys once I get my drysuit. I'm just doing preliminary planning for now. Looking at maybe March, but definitely before the year's out. Am presently thinking about getting a Bare compressed neoprene suit btw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom