For the long weekend- Catalina Conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on the Hypsie (although there has been a name change for the species and I can't remember it).

As for the "thresher shark," last time someone told me they had seen one, I showed them my shark DVD and it turned out to be a torpedo ray. While thresher sharks ARE occasionally seen, finding one in the kelp forest seems highly unlikely.

Hi Dr. Bill, if it were just two newbies that told me that they saw the "thresher", then I probably wouldn't believe them but two other highly experienced divers also saw the shark. They are pretty conversant about local marine animals.

Hi Dr. Bill, if it were just two newbies that told me that they saw the "thresher", then I probably wouldn't believe them but two other highly experienced divers also saw the shark. They are pretty conversant about local marine animals.

I'm not doubting anyone, but perhaps they were Soupfins ? Just a thought :)

LuLu reef? First time I recall hearing that name for that area.

FYI and FTI for all the rest
LuLu was the name of a boat owned by a SoCal dive company called Ski N Dive. They began operation in the early 1960s as a small dive operation behind a used car lot in Bellflower and grew to a large operation with a number of stores through out SoCal similar to Sports chalet. Their major market was as the name implies Skiing and Diving. They had a disastrous year of no snow therefore no skiing and soon were forced out of business, probably some time before 1965.

The boat, LuLu and I suppose the LuLu reef was made famous by their weekly TV program called "Territory Underwater." Every program was filmed in that small area do to predictable clear calm water.

Now you know and so do I..

SDM

I've heard the name before, Sam, but despite diving Catalina waters I haven't a clue where it is either! Many boats make up their own names for dive sites and it gets pretty confusing, especially if a scientist wants to record sighting information for a species.

As for the shark being a thresher, it is possible but highly unlikely. Soupfins have a higher dorsal lobe of the caudal fin, but a thresher's is far longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom