For the most awesome dive experience you'll ever have!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil this whole thing may be just too much for you to realize I, nor anyone else cares about the senseless killing or harming micro marine life in order for you to do what you like. And it's all good. Since knowing you, my choice of music accompaniment for my outstanding uw videos, have been mentioned by you, how bad it is, my English speaking and now spelling and grammar doesn't fit your allowance to understand it. So I write back with facts, that my other awesome friends "realize" everybody is different. And that is the world we live in. And only because you asked: I shore dive those sites with rides from the other villains of the world, polluting it, killing it, us, while trying to convince them life is more important, I just bring dive gear as a plan b. Yes and Jim's Boat is not only solar powered be we row a lot these days. He's thinking of a reactor for new, releasable power. I was not comparing your landing and setting and pulling anchor to anyone. Just know there's life in the sand, and the occasional reef you hit. I personally don't think any less of it than a species that one can be fined for to help the cycle of the Executive Branch of power this nation thrives on. One would accidentally spear an unknown fish because it's large and kind of docile swimming by the hunter. Meanwhile DFWL makes the species and take regulations so confusing it'd take Dr Bill to spend years deciphering the code. But I know just by his recent comments, he doesn't want to be in that course, for one reason, it's a never term paper winner. Phil, I have been cited 2 times by the DFWL over one, a halibut that was allegedly 1/32 of an inch short. The officer within 2 weeks mailed me a letter stating "he realized my mistake was non intentional" he got my fish is what it is. And two a short lobster of a millimeter. Took the goofball 15 minutes to show me that it was in fact short, Mathematically the measuring gauge when placed over the carapace and touches both points it's debatable whether it's short or just unlucky because it was 3 am and I was pretty beat, and officer wanted a share. The court of Redondo suspended the case after a 2 round trip bus ride, with dive gear, the court put a warrant out for my arrest because the court made drastic errors in filing the "infraction." Hoping I'd just not worry about it and pay the fine of bail of warrant. Not me, I straighted them out, they withdrew the warrant charge, after I plead "guilty" to both charges with a request for Jail Time!! I was hoping on a cot, pb and J sandwich, and catch the game, play some cards...The Judge laughed and said Sir there is only the 1 charge...to which i then informed the court my plea and request still stands. She shook her head with a big smile and said "No, I'm suspending this." And she read the next straw man's name. I was like looking around starting to stand thinking "this is it? I gotta take the bus back? This sucks!"
Hope that brings closure Phil. This is the most beautiful post I've ever created!! Stirred up some waves didn't it? My webpage analytic tracking from relevance went through the roof! I've been asked to write copy for other pages!! Thanks.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2014 at 12:54 PM ----------

if you ever need some editing on some of you published work, call me!

I don't know why you feel the need to post personal attacks on Scubaboard. Perhaps you don't like the prevailing anti-poaching attitude I and most other divers have. Perhaps you just believe everyone else is not as awesome as you. I'm not sure. I think you should know a little more about me.

When I was a new diver I relied on books written nearly two decades before for dive site directions and descriptions. There was no internet at the time, so I appreciated all the information I could gather. I used to dive Laguna Beach a lot. Before leaving the house I would call Newport Aquatic Center for the current conditions. The late Ron Merker left a voice message each morning with the days dive conditions. Occasionally I would stop by his shop after diving and thank him or let him know if conditions had changed. I try to pay that kindness back by posting reports and photos from various dive sites to let other divers know about conditions and to share sites so that others may enjoy them.

For several years I worked at Marina Dive and Sport at 22nd Street Landing. I met a lot of wonderful people there. Many would stop in and tell me about diving SoCal in the 50s and 60s. Some of their stories wound up in my book. One of the nicest people I met there was John Roodenberg. He was an old L.A. County instructor and long-time member of the TRW Sea Divers club. His students liked him so much that many became his dive buddies long after their classes were over. They would charter the Westerly for themselves quite often. When he came into the shop we used to announce him as Roodenberg, party of twelve.

Later I met divers such as Patrick Smith, who can tell you the history of every shipwreck in SoCal. Through Patrick I met the crew of the Moby Kate. The Captain, Dr. Andy Saxon is one of the smartest men I have ever met. He is Professor & Chief Emeritus (retired) Clinical Immunology/Allergy Department of Medicine UCLA School of Medicine and co-wrote the first paper describing AIDS. He is also the funniest person I have ever met. He knows more dive sites in the Santa Monica Bay than most people have logged dives. Paul Kanner was a second captain on the Westerly and can name nearly every shelled critter in the world. Bill MacDonald was a filmmaker for Bill Burrud Productions(Wild Kingdom) and still produces many underwater videos as well as his environmental work. Dr. John Bibb is a surgeon at Cedars Sinai and an excellent underwater photographer.

For the past three years I have had the pleasure of diving each weekend with Kevin Lee, one of the best underwater photographers in the world. All of these divers and many more that I have met in person or here on Scubaboard have one thing in common. They all love diving and sharing their passion with others. My goal in life is to continue promoting our local dive sites and hoping to emulate those who have inspired me so far. The most amazing thing about the people I admire and try to emulate is that they have never once described themselves as awesome or hardcore.

Last edited:
I don't know why you feel the need to post personal attacks on Scubaboard. Perhaps you don't like the prevailing anti-poaching attitude I and most other divers have. Perhaps you just believe everyone else is not as awesome as you. I'm not sure. I think you should know a little more about me.

When I was a new diver I relied on books written nearly two decades before for dive site directions and descriptions. There was no internet at the time, so I appreciated all the information I could gather. I used to dive Laguna Beach a lot. Before leaving the house I would call Newport Aquatic Center for the current conditions. The late Ron Merker left a voice message each morning with the days dive conditions. Occasionally I would stop by his shop after diving and thank him or let him know if conditions had changed. I try to pay that kindness back by posting reports and photos from various dive sites to let other divers know about conditions and to share sites so that others may enjoy them.

For several years I worked at Marina Dive and Sport at 22nd Street Landing. I met a lot of wonderful people there. Many would stop in and tell me about diving SoCal in the 50s and 60s. Some of their stories wound up in my book. One of the nicest people I met there was John Roodenberg. He was an old L.A. County instructor and long-time member of the TRW Sea Divers club. His students liked him so much that many became his dive buddies long after their classes were over. They would charter the Westerly for themselves quite often. When he came into the shop we used to announce him as Roodenberg, party of twelve.

Later I met divers such as Patrick Smith, who can tell you the history of every shipwreck in SoCal. Through Patrick I met the crew of the Moby Kate. The Captain, Dr. Andy Saxon is one of the smartest men I have ever met. He is Professor & Chief Emeritus (retired) Clinical Immunology/Allergy Department of Medicine UCLA School of Medicine and co-wrote the first paper describing AIDS. He is also the funniest person I have ever met. He knows more dive sites in the Santa Monica Bay than most people have logged dives. Paul Kanner was a second captain on the Westerly and can name nearly every shelled critter in the world. Bill MacDonald was a filmmaker for Bill Burrud Productions(Wild Kingdom) and still produces many underwater videos as well as his environmental work. Dr. John Bibb is a surgeon at Cedars Sinai and an excellent underwater photographer.

For the past three years I have had the pleasure of diving each weekend with Kevin Lee, one of the best underwater photographers in the world. All of these divers and many more that I have met in person or here on Scubaboard have one thing in common. They all love diving and sharing their passion with others. My goal in life is to continue promoting our local dive sites and hoping to emulate those who have inspired me so far. The most amazing thing about the people I admire and try to emulate is that they have never once described themselves as awesome or hardcore.

As a newer diver to SoCal, I wish you'd dive Laguna instead of PV. I am just now beginning to dive Laguna a lot and would love to see it from your perspective.

Max, I do have somewhat of a memory...go back to the very start of this post, back to page 1. I believe you "attacked" me personally about English? Ah, is it now coming back to you? It was a joke about how awesome I am, I would read your book about diving PV but I figured if I could come up with 15 dollars, I could dive PV. And max, yohooo? I don't call myself hardcore, but I have been like millions of new and old divers, been called "your hardcore!" If you have worked in a dive shop here in California, you can't tell me that you never called a new or old diver hardcore, as a compliment that they have an excited ambitious drive to dive as much as they can get. If you haven't, which could be the case, maybe because of the strict following of training manuals you didn't venture out from them. Some are quite outdated and the term hardcore might not have made it yet. But since the last 20 years it's become a loosely applied descriptive name to some one, or groups that like some thing very much, Everybody in my books that dive are hardcore. Just not the ones that did it once and from then on can only preach and give their testimony of how it should be done. Being out of control with a hardcore style we've been requested to help stimulate "near dead" dive clubs back into being active. With success in that. I was only lucky to have been with a much younger group that created HardcoreDiveTeam, that let me dive with them.

I want to apologize to Lopez116. For you to still be here on this site with such dreary negative mud slinging content as this has, says a lot about your courage and interest to be open to even a bunch of bs. I hope you seen the original post about the most awesome dive experience you'll ever have?? lol. It's got some ire to it as everyone has their own awesome site, do they not? And I'll let you know something, what you asked max to do so you could see it from his perspective is extremely valuable for you, whether he takes you up on it, to maybe give you his high degree of perspective, because he's been diving for long time, is one thing, but if I were him, I'd go to Laguna to get your perspective. Us older guys, we have stories and histories and habbits that will go through the surface if we look through eyes of younger or new divers, mostly. Everyone is important to learn from. If I looked at it from my own policing "it's gotta be done this way, la de da da" I'd be loosing on how the world today is looked at from someone that's not fixed on the past. That's one of the non by laws, non club operating proceedures, non constitutional laws that make up the non meetings of Hardcore Dive Team, There are no rules that would make you or anyone an outsider. No Physical, Political, Religious, Economical, Social Status or General Education required. I do know Hardcore has been known to give dive trips sometimes multi day for free. One thing about it, it steadily continues today to grow, Internationally. Even from us that can't spell. It's called enthusiastic ambition, like what's driving your lots of dives in Laguna!

At this point, I'm only following the thread for its mudslinging entertainment value.

I initially followed it b/c the thread title intrigued me, but upon reading the post, I knew it wasn't for me. I personally could never see myself killing anything in the ocean. Nothing about catching lobsters or any other animal is exciting to me. I honestly don't get it.

But, I know there are people such as yourself who are into it. This is a tough one. I don't like to see it and I can't condone it, but if you are complying with the law, I also can't do anything about it. My hope is the law will change so that our local marine environment is preserved and protected. I don't want this b/c I wish any ill will against you or anyone else that likes hunting lobster. I don't want this b/c of some desire to be morally vindicated. I simply want it so that my first son (who is expected to be born in January) and I can go diving together when he's old enough and the environment will still be as it was meant to be.

1 white-chocolate-popcorn-hand.jpg

At this point, I'm only following the thread for its mudslinging entertainment value.

I initially followed it b/c the thread title intrigued me, but upon reading the post, I knew it wasn't for me. I personally could never see myself killing anything in the ocean. Nothing about catching lobsters or any other animal is exciting to me. I honestly don't get it.

But, I know there are people such as yourself who are into it. This is a tough one. I don't like to see it and I can't condone it, but if you are complying with the law, I also can't do anything about it. My hope is the law will change so that our local marine environment is preserved and protected. I don't want this b/c I wish any ill will against you or anyone else that likes hunting lobster. I don't want this b/c of some desire to be morally vindicated. I simply want it so that my first son (who is expected to be born in January) and I can go diving together when he's old enough and the environment will still be as it was meant to be.

Awesome Lopez!! Then you are a young man? I commend you in your interest for your son to see what we do!! I'm gonna let you know a slight unmentioned cycle and a progression that will only allow your son or his to view the ocean from an aquarium. I've lived in so cal for half a century, and my father wanted to show me what he saw. He was bad ass. And from extensive contact with So Cal's Pacific crops, I've seen a boat load of changes that do no relate to human interactions. pacific decadal oscillation, I use it because it's what we're talking about, is not something that MPA's MLPA's effect. The ocean is like a farm, it becomes ripe at times, and ready to harvest. That might sound cruel. It's like this: Maybe 15 years, prior to 2007 el nino, I don't know exact it's not that important, our waters were known as Dead Sea. It was difficult to even find pin head anchovies. They'd die from touching them, much less from tying them on a line to try and catch a fish, very small fish. 2007 changed everything dramatically. And it lasted for 5 years and has brought resident palagics and ground fish that still remain today, it wasn't from environmentalist.

My heritage, tradition has leaned towards experiencing life, fishing, diving, stuff like that. These very MPA's and such are going to evolve to even exclude you and your son or his from touching the water based on the bs that is spread to generate a high price to get in the water. Think I'm way off on that? I don't. I've seen the same happen over 40 years of public lands accessed for off-road use. They've connected the dots and forced use into tiny areas, with large fees, but guess what? These desert areas are only restricted to public use, and then when corporate giants, real estate development and military shelling practice has an interest, the land is for sale or use. Screw the turtles and lizards, push comes to shove screw the public.

The cycle of life in the ocean is swinging widely. And everyone that knows what happened in the 2007 el nino, rarely comments back. There were record number and sizes of palagics, that blanketed our waters, albacore migrations didn't even have a season they were all year, and coming very close. Non Stop. Sardines in huge size and numbers came here over night. Scholars still argue that warm water kills nutrients...tell that to the enormous amount of bait fish that came here for it. What followed it was nearly a miracle. The development of monster yellowtail, barracuda, bonito, white seabass, but one other slight thing, similar in what we seen this year...dorado. In 98 in santa monica bay was colored bright rainbows under every floating object and kelp paddy. Halibut and rockfish, kelp bass and sand bass migrations exploded, schools of blue sharks everywhere, makos, threshers, you couldn't get out of them. It was epic, not just for a year but 5. Squid came back and still is healthy because of it, white seabass in Palos Verdes so thick and up to 65 lbs you could cast to one, and if it broke off, you repin another pair of squid to and cast back to that one again. You could see them. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, environmentalist claim it's the results of restricted areas. So they get more, forcing the pressure on less areas.

Unless you're a complete vegetarian that farms your own land in a bubble, you too are carnivore. You might feel great by preserving the life of wild animals as much as you can, being a Laguna resident, you might have no trouble buying the best farm raised meat. Some on the other hand, not only practice hunting, legally, but are quite good at it. It's just what my dad showed me, how to do it. I don't take pleasure in "killing" something as much as I do like the idea that when the spider eats the fly, the fly then becomes the spider. Life, feeds on life. It's how the system works. Opening night of lobster season is a tradition. I really don't care if I catch on or not. What's awesome is watching the crazyness take place in a part of the world where it still can. And seeing the trillion of lighted eyes of tiny lobster that one day will mate, and make more, then find a jacuzzi upon someones stovetop.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 12:13 PM ----------

If I thought it was important to discredit or harm someones ideas or post, I'd would reply negatively to regular posters here on SB, but like why would I want that? I could go on about picture video quality or titles that are just oh so lofty, but I don't see that as important as sharing an upcoming dive to go diving, have fun. Don't complain, constantly!! Scuba Board So Cal forums are peculiar for sure. Of course a lot of older dive clubs and divers just don't let you in, unless you're the same exact mold.

Why are they less important than any others that live in sea, the ones you showcase as in the accidental killing of a black sea bass taken by a diver who speared it and didn't know what he killed. I remember you smeared his picture as if he was a villain, then your followers, all 3 of them, did the "gang up" on him and watched the court case unfold, you and the small crowd you draw here were dissatisfied that the young man didn't get jail time. You thought his misdemeanor fine wasn't enough.
[h=2]https://www.facebook.com/TheHCDT/ph...0.1416777694./401588576549618/?type=3&theater[/h]

The most awesome dive has been "over" for a long time now. You missed it. There's always next year. I'll pick up a middle school reading and writing course in hopes of writing about the plans to dive again, and the results of having a blast and good times! Maybe it'll be ok with someone...lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom