Force Fins vs Jetfins - tek diving and all the kicks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was reading "Lets go Diving!" by Bill Barada. It is a condensed diving instruction manual, published by U.S. Divers Co. in 1962. The chapter on fins had me thinking about this thread.

From chapter 1, section B
"...Flippers preferred by expert divers throughout the world vary as much as the designs available. However, all divers agree on the following points.
1. Comfort is far more important than design. A loose fitting flipper will cause chafing; a tight flipper will cause cramps.
2. Select a flipper to fit your strength and conditioning. Giant flippers on an untrained diver can cause leg cramps and are ineffective.
3. Your swimming kick will automatically adjust to fit the design of the flipper you are wearing. Select them as you would a pair of shoes, not because they feel good on somebody else.
4. If flippers are worn over boots of a rubber suit, a slightly larger foot-pocket is needed. Many diver prefer to wear boots under their flippers at all times, because the boots prevent chafing from movement of the flipper."

For the sake of discussion in this thread, is any of this 53 year old advice as relevant today?

I was reading "Lets go Diving!" by Bill Barada. It is a condensed diving instruction manual, published by U.S. Divers Co. in 1962. The chapter on fins had me thinking about this thread.

From chapter 1, section B
"...Flippers preferred by expert divers throughout the world vary as much as the designs available. However, all divers agree on the following points.
1. Comfort is far more important than design. A loose fitting flipper will cause chafing; a tight flipper will cause cramps.
2. Select a flipper to fit your strength and conditioning. Giant flippers on an untrained diver can cause leg cramps and are ineffective.
3. Your swimming kick will automatically adjust to fit the design of the flipper you are wearing. Select them as you would a pair of shoes, not because they feel good on somebody else.
4. If flippers are worn over boots of a rubber suit, a slightly larger foot-pocket is needed. Many diver prefer to wear boots under their flippers at all times, because the boots prevent chafing from movement of the flipper."

For the sake of discussion in this thread, is any of this 53 year old advice as relevant today?

I have no idea what he means by "your swimming kick will automatically adjust to fit the design of the flipper you are wearing" other than to say that if you buy the wrong fins (or crappy fins) technique goes out the window.

Sort of like suggesting that for any given sport you should just buy any athletic shoe - running, soccer, tennis, basketball, etc - as long as it is comfortable and your running style will automatically adjust to fit the design of the shoe.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2015 at 03:23 PM ----------

And what % of the non-cave/wreck divers use a frog kick more than 20% of the time (assuming you do some open water diving)?

The better question is "what percent of non-cave/wreck divers SHOULD use a frog kick more than 20% of the time,"

While I'll allow that the answer may not be "all of them" I can't currently think of any diver who wouldn't be better off frog kicking most of the time.

1. Why do you use a frog kick instead of a flutter kick? What % of your dive do you spend frog kicking?
2. What % of divers even use a frog kick and why? What % of divers ever use a "helicopter turn"?
3. How many divers have you heard complain about cramping because of their fins?

A curious mind wants to know
---------- Post added May 4th, 2015 at 04:56 PM ----------

I will give a shot as well.
1. Like other said, main thing is less invasive. When done properly, zero stir up from very close to bottom swim. I cant say the same for conventional flutty. Also, when done properly, it is very efficent while not necessary fast. My main travel kick is fog.
2. The real question here is how many % of OW diver actually know how to do fog, heli, and back kick right. Heli turn and back kick are tools. When you need them, they are valuable. If don't know them, you will just need to swim around and try again.
3. I actually don't remember I have never had leg cramp due to diving.

In the 2+ years since certification, this is still something I am surprised doesn't receive more attention during OW class. Finning technique was never brought up during the class I was in. It at least deserves consideration for a PADI specialty course.

That being said, I still stand by my opinion of the Tan Delta Extra Force fins being more efficient than the Scubapro Jet Fins. In the second addition of "Basic Scuba", Fred Roberts explains finning efficiency using Newton's Third Law of Motion. The illustration in the book shows the vector forces of the typical flutter kick, but the same science applies to all kicks. I can't speak to the price, but I expect Bob thinks the specialty fins are worth it...and I agree.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom