Forget DIR!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humour is a very personal thing and whilst we all edit the normal media we are exposed to to suit our particular tastes, the internet exposes us to other people's and we don't necessarily always 'get it'.

I didn't get Seajays humour, I thought his post was a case of laughing at rather than, as he explains, laughing with and I thought that in turn was born of a misunderstanding of the equipment's designed role. Hence, I tried to qualify my accusation of 'ignorance' so that it wasn't construed as an insult. I failed and Seajay felt insulted and I am very sorry about that, it wasn't my intention.

As for others posts on the merits or otherwise of the United States and other countries, I will not get drawn into such an argument. I've visited many countries around the world and found them all populated with...people! Some pleasant, some unpleasant so I couldn't point to any country and specifically say it is superior because of xy or z reason.

Anyway, Clootie, diving round here is lots of fun just don't expect any warm, clear water. The Clyde is too thick to drink and too runny to plough. But, only a few hours drive and a trip on the ferry takes you to Scapa and I'm off again in 3 weeks, hooray!

Best wishes to all.

Oldie

I don't claim to be anything but a recreational diver. I've learned a bunch of stuff about commercial and military diving from the folks who take diving much more seriously than I ever will. Obviously there is a market for the Divex stuff or they would not be in business.

I suppose if I started seeing everyone on a typical dive boat wearing doubles upside down, or camo dive suits, or hyperbaric chambers on their heads, I would eventually get used to it.

However, all of those things are funny because I haven't ever seen any of them before and it is highly unlikely that I will see them anytime soon.

I fully intend to keep on laughing when I see something strange, whether it is the DIVEX website, or a pufferfish. Somehow, I think both the website and the pufferfish will be able to withstand my laughter.

Oldenboldiver once bubbled...
I failed and Seajay felt insulted and I am very sorry about that, it wasn't my intention.

Thanks, "Junior." :)

...Apparently I failed in the humor department. I'm really sorry if I offended anyone... Especially someone with your credentials.

I swear, I'm not so bad. :)

UP, I'm still aghast about your desire for the jacket or BDG... Was this your attempt at humor?

Seajay

got to agree with you on Benny Hill! I never really got the three stooges. I do still consider Monty Python classic though.

Just in case there's misunderstanding, I promise I was not calling you arrogant - I was just saying that one thing you said came across that way to some people, which may have made them jump heavier on the rest of the post. Like in my post, if you read the "(mistaken, I'm sure)" bit as sincere, you see the whole post as an attempt to explain why some people reacted badly, but if you read it as sarcastic, I'm attacking you :whack:. It was the former, for the record.

Off to practice for my PADI bomb :boom: disposal course now

Oldie Junior - Scapa is on my list to do, once I get used to the cold water round this place, and sort out a drysuit. Skye is probably on there too.... but the Clyde isn't for some strange reason :D

Bigjetdriver - hehe. Yep come dive with the celts, though our blue 'Braveheart' make-up does tend to run underwater.

Oldenboldiver once bubbled...
Humour is a very personal thing and whilst we all edit the normal media we are exposed to to suit our particular tastes, the internet exposes us to other people's and we don't necessarily always 'get it'.

I didn't get Seajays humour, I thought his post was a case of laughing at rather than, as he explains, laughing with and I thought that in turn was born of a misunderstanding of the equipment's designed role. Hence, I tried to qualify my accusation of 'ignorance' so that it wasn't construed as an insult. I failed and Seajay felt insulted and I am very sorry about that, it wasn't my intention.

Oldie

Since I am the one who first said something about this thread, I thought I would add a last comment.

I think Oldie summed it up best,,, humor is a personal thing and I would like to add, at first the Buddy Double Gold thing was no big deal. To Sea Jay,,the name actually does have humor in it and it is an old design, but the name is British and I think Brits and us Americans generally laugh at some of the termology we both use. What is that expression, we are two nations separated by a common language.

What inspired my first post was the string of postings seeing how much "laughing at" appeared to be a lack of knowledge about who DIVEX is and who they sell to as well as what the serious applications of these items is. Having done my time as a commercial diver and hyperbaric medic (DMT) does change ones view of what is humorous.

I should of left off the Omnipotent comment and rephrased it to be more reflective then inflamatory. For that I apoligize.

As far as DIR, I do use a Hogtharian rig and have for many years. Actually, the Backplate / Wing thing was an a easier transition for someone who was used to wearing a commercial harness with a bailout bottle clamped to it. Afterall, I started diving commercialy and only begain Scuba after I retired and went back to college.

Unfortunately, what has happened to DIR is that there are groups who have taken a group of ideals and used it as a platform of "how right they are and how wrong everyone else is". If Sea Jay was merely attempting humor and not in this group, I apoligize.

I will say again, everyone is better off when we learn about things from all diving disciplines.

To Sea Jay,,,

Maybe one day we will bump into eachother on a dive boat, we will scratch our heads at our diferent rigs and finish the day with a beer and a rare double cheeseburger,,,actually sounds rather good for lunch today.

PhotoTJ once bubbled...
How does that saying go? "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Now, anyone who thinks that I'm talking about them....is probably right.

I think it was Confucus or Ben Franklin, between the two of them, they thought up most of the good sayings.

You know, the ironic thing about that quote, is that in order for them to have been quoted, they would have had to open their mouth and say it.

Perhaps they were trying to remove all doubt?

<offers TX65 a burger and a beer, in the new low magnetic beer mug, first introduced by the Swedish Militant Geurilla Dive Team>

<ducking Fin Wake's wrath, since he's from a country dangerously close to Sweden>

<Thinks about Ben Franklin and Confucious diving together in matching camo Buddy Double Golds with the new Apollo low magnetic split fins>

*Chuckle*

I swear, I'm not so bad.
I know. No permanent offense taken (now that the wrath has blown off). But it's still good advice to stay away from the verbal antics of the extreme fringe of the group that TX65 mentions. Just nick the diving skills and run ... :wink:
<offers TX65 a burger and a beer, in the new low magnetic beer mug, first introduced by the Swedish Militant Geurilla Dive Team>
I've got news for ya! The Swedish Militant Guerilla Team dive in tight-fitting Desert Camo bikinis, and man, is it difficult to concentrate on the diving ... Hey, I respect your Deltas and Navy SEALs enormously, but even they would have a hard task on concentrating on catching Saddam and Osama with the birds from the SMGT running around ... (I could add more comments here from personal experience, but this is a family board, apparently and anything lewd will be snipped ... :D :wink: )
<ducking Fin Wake's wrath, since he's from a country dangerously close to Sweden>
Dangerous is the least you can say, we sauna at 100 degrees C and we're born with our dive knives ... And nobody ever uses them for diving ... :wink:

Anyway, SeaJay, that's the spirit. This time you've made some truly funny jokes and everybody's happy. And that's the way it's supposed to be! Have a good weekend and lots of happy bubbles!

K.

Ach, we're not the monsters we're sometimes made out to be. (Cry Freedom, 1977)

I said he was "from a country dangerously close to Sweden..." I thought he was in Finland! ("fin's wake")

Duh. He's in Stockholm. Sweden. :D Shoulda seen that.

For those of you who don't know, Sweden's notoriously politically neutral... Hence the humor in a Swedish Militant Guerilla Dive Team...

Kinda like the Jamaican Bobsled Team... Or the Polar Bear Swim Club...

As fin's wake points out, Sweden's better known for it's beautiful people... And the idea of a "Swedish Militant Guerilla Dive Team" would probably not be unlike the "Swedish Bikini Team" - as in, "of the female variety."

...And in that case, camo bikinis might not be so bad after all... :D 'Course, that's a personal opinion, and I have no intention of offending those who would rather look at a male in a Speedo. Or whatever. :)

Sorry, y'all... I just wanted to explain so I wouldn't offend anyone... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom