Diving doubles and drysuit trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Head heavy usually means the shoulder straps are too tight, which is a common problem. Also, there shouldn’t be a lot of air in the suit, just enough to ease the pain of suit squeeze and no more. At the end of the dive, on your deco/safety stop, pump up the suit for comfort.
Or maintain your thermal comfort throughout the dive….

Y’all diving uncomfortable for no reason. Loft the undergarment. That’s why you have it.

Or maintain your thermal comfort throughout the dive….

Y’all diving uncomfortable for no reason. Loft the undergarment. That’s why you have it.

I don't understand the whole "as squeezed as possible" thing either. Eventually on your ascent the undergarments are going to loft and you're not going to be able to get back to max squeeze so you just need to learn how to dive the suit with the undergarments lofted.

Lofting the suit some tends to help resolve the head heavy thing as well, because your buoyancy is more evenly distributed not just in your feet.

I had a huge problem with being head-heavy while diving dry with twin steel 130s. But I kept working at it

One day, halfway through a dive, I realized that I had no problem with trim anymore.

Dive more.

What's your height and what kind of 100s are you using? For example, if you are 6'9 and diving Worthington 100s (which are very stumpy), a lot of the weight will be sitting high up on your back, requiring more air high up in your suit to compensate for that. The solution could be to dive longer tanks that distribute more weight to your lower back (either longer 100's such as Fabers or change to 120s or 130s)... Maybe have a buddy take a quick video of you in the water column to see how high your tanks sit on your back.

I would recommend taking a intro to TEC class. Your instructor can fix all this and teach you. Well worth it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom