Fort Lauderdale is killing sea turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks much. Will pass along the info.

This is the worst one yet.

that's horrible. poor things..

What is the fine for molesting or killing a turtle? I'm sure it is a pretty hefty amount if not even jail time. These instances are no different, its just indirect neglect and totally outrageous. Can video evidence be used to apply such fines per turtle to whatever establishments that fail to meet turtle safe requirements?

One would hope so.

This just in:
Please watch NBC 6 Miami Tonight on 6 pm News for an interview with the Marriot Harbor Beach and Ann Wiley from STOP.

It seems a little late in the season to be broadcasting such news but it is still good to raise awareness none the less. It is pretty much an annual thing up our way and lots of efforts are made to advertise the season is coming in and the expectations in all aspects of turtle preservation. Most if not all beach " access signs" have formal information and explanation. Which on my visits to your area is something I have not seen at all or overlooked if it was posted. In a few hotels I have visited on our beaches there are placards located at check in desk and various other locations notifying ocean facing patrons to observe and obey local law. I'm not sure if it is just the smaller "community type" that benefits the overall awareness and desire to "do the right thing"?
On another note I would guess that some of the success is, we still have a large part of the natural dune and vegetation in places. Versus endless condos and hotels facing beachfront in your area.

What is "Totally" perplexing to me is, if there is a clear and blatant violation of law, who can report it, and who should be enforcing those reports? I see in that one video where the road is right there and that is clearly a city compliance violation.

Another thing we have working to our benefit here is A1A is behind the dune line and hotels reducing light exposure. It cases where parking lots are "on the beach", it is literally pitch black during nesting season. If I am not mistaken even the large inter-coastal causeway bridge lights are turned off to reduce the accumulated background light. Which in my town is 1/2 mile from the shore if not more.

Drat it Debby! I just saw the email. missed it. maybe they will post it online..

Just read they got bumped UP to the National news with Brian Williams on NBC. Too late for me to watch, will try to catch it online..
If anybody has a link, would you please post it? Thanks!

OneRestless, they've been broadcasting news all season.

Jenny, Justin always does. I just got home myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom