Fort pickens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like the tides for the jetties in Destin are about a half hour different then ft. Pickens. Dive one on Saturday then one on Sunday.

Fort Pickens CG partial closure: For the month of February, ONLY LOOP A (40 sites) WILL BE OPEN. Also, the Fort Pickens campground is not taking any camping reservations at this time, but it is open on a first-come, first-served basis. Plan accordingly. Please visit www.nps.gov/guis for more information.

Fort Pickens CG partial closure: For the month of February, ONLY LOOP A (40 sites) WILL BE OPEN. Also, the Fort Pickens campground is not taking any camping reservations at this time, but it is open on a first-come, first-served basis. Plan accordingly. Please visit www.nps.gov/guis for more information.

I saw that on the web site. When the date gets closer I will give them a call. I do t think ft pickens fills up like the other parks in the Destin area or does it?

I camped two weekends in a row last month. The first weekend Loop A was pretty much full, but had a few sites left. Loops B and D and were closed while C and E were open. The second weekend, Loop A was closed and C and E were the only loops open. I was quite surprised on how many campers were there. Most of the camp sites in Loop C and E seem to be on the low end or in the flow of run off during rainy days. So if it appears to have sites open tent camping would be limited to the higher outer edges of the Loop. I drove around for a while trying to find a site that i thought would not flood in a heavy rain fall and I did not find many. Both weekends I camped on E66. The first weekend it rained allot and my tent did not flood. I would imagine during the Spring months it could be packed.

I will keep that in mind. Maybe they will have more campsites open by march but when I do go I will probly be there before 10 am if that makes a difference.
Did you have to battle with fishermen on the jetties?

The fishermen that set up on the Jetties are generally used to divers. I can't speak for everyone but I have only had good experiences with the shore fishermen there. Now those that approach the site by boat have occassionally been a different story.

They just opened the reservations for fort pickens. Those sites that are open are filling up fast! I booked a site for april 16-19. Just thought I would let everyone know!

This is from the website Fort Pickens CG Reservations and Partial Closure: Loop A sites can be reserved starting 10 a.m. EST February 24, 2010, for camping dates beginning March 1, 2010. Loops B, C, D, and E are closed due to a construction project. These sites will be reservable as construction work progresses. This is expected to be completed by June 1, 2010 or before. Please visit Gulf Islands National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service) for more information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom