Found Catch Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2TH DIVR

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Figured I would post this here as this is the area the item was found and the tooth hunters lurk here.

Was out with Florida West this weekend and found a catch bag on the first dive. It had been down a while, had some growth on it. There was also stuff in it, didn't look just rolled it up and carried it through the dive. Upon exiting the water and stating what I had found, a woman on board states that it's her friends bag that she lost a month ago on a charter. She starts getting irrate that I don't want to give it up.
I say that she can have the bag (pink) but the contents are mine.
Steve, the owner of Florida West, did say that her friend lost a bag fitting the one I found.
So to avoid any problems I give her the bag, with contents which included 2 small megs.
She didn't even thank me.
What would you have done?

this is why you pilfer the bag underwater and ditch it, bringing up
only the contents :eyebrow:

Bummer of a deal for you 2th diver! Im always looking an hoping to see something... anything that someone has left behind. There is a certain rush in finding something. Sounds like all you got out of the deal was the rush.

I would probably given in as you did, but only because the captain seems to have sided with the distraught lady. With the captain in a more neutral position I would have told the lady its too bad for your friend, but this might not even be her bag.

I usually try to return found scuba gear to the owner after reasonable identification. In your case, I would have supplied contact info so the owner could contact me and ID the contents.

I agree with awap. We found a wallet out at Disney with a significant amt of cash in it. We contacted the owner rather than turn it in (you never know). Regardless, what you did was A Good Thing. She may/may not have been telling the truth (likely was). Look at it this way, it wasn't yours and if it really was the friend's then you did someone a good turn and probably made them very happy. Regardless, you came out of it looking the better. She could have been a lot nicer considering...

H2Andy:
this is why you pilfer the bag underwater and ditch it, bringing up
only the contents :eyebrow:
DITTO!!!

I would have done as you did. I know I hate it when I lose things.

I agree with CBulla, there are more...but when the woman got irate she would have played the devil getting anything from me...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom