Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would had launched couple of boats to the last known place and then let the current point to the direction.
Communication equipment, fuel, light and food/drink for the crew.

I would had launched couple of boats to the last known place and then let the current point to the direction.
Communication equipment, fuel, light and food/drink for the crew.

Yes, sensible. But given how much boat traffic is in the area, that they have not been picked up yet is puzzling

Video on twitter of the transfer fron the tug boat to a rescue helo,

Courtesy: Melissa Goh

Attachments

• 5EE85AAB-D024-46BC-ADCC-D2B09BBDD702.png
    5EE85AAB-D024-46BC-ADCC-D2B09BBDD702.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DD569062-8F9C-45A1-A1B4-DA31570F850D.png
    DD569062-8F9C-45A1-A1B4-DA31570F850D.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 85
  • A7A2BDAF-85C0-438B-8678-605DBEACBA7D.png
    A7A2BDAF-85C0-438B-8678-605DBEACBA7D.png
    89 KB · Views: 98
  • 94A186FF-4573-4FC7-8600-1E211729D80B.png
    94A186FF-4573-4FC7-8600-1E211729D80B.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 3E183AEA-ABB5-4425-A872-AB3645121E38.png
    3E183AEA-ABB5-4425-A872-AB3645121E38.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 95
Oh
I would think that the first thing to do if lost is to stay together? Two nights of drifting is going to be hell on the students, but there is still a chance that they can be saved. I remember a group lost off of Komodo Island years ago that I felt were hopeless after a few days, but they were found throwing rocks to keep the dragons at bay later.
interesting!

Not being able to keep the group together...

It tastes a bit like a blame-game that is starting, maybe because the instructor is the only one rescued so far.

Staying together is everyone's responsibility. If you're in a situation where everyone has to swim 500 meters/yards to safety, every diver must have the stamina to do so. In case one of them doesn't, you cannot blame the group leader for it.

When you're up against nature, stamina and strength are much more useful than legal responsibility and litigation.

Not being able to keep the group together...

It tastes a bit like a blame-game that is starting, maybe because the instructor is the only one rescued so far.

Staying together is everyone's responsibility. If you're in a situation where everyone has to swim 500 meters/yards to safety, every diver must have the stamina to do so. In case one of them doesn't, you cannot blame the group leader for it.

When you're up against nature, stamina and strength are much more useful than legal responsibility and litigation.

I am not blaming anyone but I am asking the question of decision making by a dive leader.

You have 2 minors & 1 other male adult.

You are in open sea. You need to make a sensible, calculated & logical decision.

They are under your care & they are expecting you to think of their wellbeing.

You need to consider the risks & possible outcomes if you decide to make a dash for land & the group is then split up in open sea.

This is the point I am making.

The decision making process will be brought up.

You are in open sea. You need to make a sensible, calculated & logical decision.

They are under your care & they are expecting you to think of their wellbeing.

You need to consider the risks & possible outcomes if you decide to make a dash for land & the group is then split up in open sea.
This was allegedly the decision:
Grodem then tried to swim to Pulau Lima to get help but was foiled by strong currents, which also separated her from the others.
Why didn't the other divers keep up with her?

Technically, the dive was over. Legally not, if this was a course dive - they were still in their dive gear.
But these divers were in a situation going from bad to worse. Doing nothing and hoping that someone will notice you, is the most passive attitude.

First, here's hoping for a good outcome!

So what is the general consensus here in this situation then, that all stay together and possibly become lost forever / dying, or the strongest swimmer, seemingly in this case the instuctor - (and after having somehow secured the others together so they don't drift apart) - make an attempt to reach land and alert someone to the situation?

Me, I am for the latter option, as I have been there / had someone do that. I see that being more a 'duty of care' than all sticking together and simply floating away holding hands hoping your found before your dead.

Oh, as an aside, I am another that fully supports the carrying of a PLB and other safety / rescue devices, especially if diving at all 'remotely' or in so-called third world countries. Better to have and never need, than to need and not have!

Incidents like this are good reminders to always bring emergency signaling devices on every dive.

Nautilus or ACR ResQLink, or both.
It is only good for 24 hours, so basically if the divers are not found the first day, it’s useless. Why can’t they have longer battery life? Sometimes, I feel like carrying two 0,5l containers of water with minerals in the pockets of a jacket BCD is even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom