Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having not read every post in this thread, nor most of the linked articles, I have to ask:

1) Is the age of the 'instructor' / person that swam for help known? And if so how old was she?

2) Was it an actual course or was she just acting as a 'guide' for the group?

TIA.

Having not read every post in this thread, nor most of the linked articles, I have to ask:

1) Is the age of the 'instructor' / person that swam for help known? And if so how old was she?

TIA.

1-Over 30s
2-Advance Open Water course

I was adrift at night a few times waiting for pickup and even when there is moonlight it's pitch black around you (to the point that even a dive computer backlight can be seen quite far away), couple that with wawes and currents and there is no way you could see someone more than a meter or two away from you. It's easy to lose a live buddy, let alone a dead one.
Stobes are also used on longline markers and most boats tend to evade them, so use at your own risk.

I am more concerned about getting fish bombed at night than getting passed by a trawler at night TBH.

Strobe + whistle + flash light are probably a good mix of items to attract attention at night if one is in trouble. I prefer some sort of mini horn you can blast several times to get the attention of a boat crew.

TIA.

The dad and the other teenager survived, the 13-year old didn't.

I sincerely hope that the instructor will make it through the sh!tstorm that's probably coming her way, with people trying to hold her responsible for what nature has caused. Apart from the boatcrew that was not paying attention...

The dad and the other teenager survived, the 13-year old didn't.

I sincerely hope that the instructor will make it through the sh!tstorm that's probably coming her way, with people trying to hold her responsible for what nature has caused. Apart from the boatcrew that was not paying attention...

She needs a good lawyer & should not sit in any interviews without the presence of a lawyer
She needs to be clear what transpired, what the plans & arrangements were with said boat captain
She needs to submit a report to her dive certification company soonest and to get them roped in asap. She may need them to clarify diving protocols/SOP etc in the event this goes to trial or if the police have further enquiries as to her conduct, etc with regards to "professionalism" and "sop's."

I don't think they will go after her to be honest....but still, best to be prepared.

I feel for her being put in this situation and hope she will recover from this. I am sure she didn't want this to happen and never in a million years imagined this would happen.

However, my heart breaks for the father and what he had to witness..................

She needs a good lawyer & should not sit in any interviews without the presence of a lawyer
She needs to be clear what transpired, what the plans & arrangements were with said boat captain
She needs to submit a report to her dive certification company soonest and to get them roped in asap. She may need them to clarify diving protocols/SOP etc in the event this goes to trial or if the police have further enquiries as to her conduct, etc with regards to "professionalism" and "sop's."

I don't think they will go after her to be honest....but still, best to be prepared.

I feel for her being put in this situation and hope she will recover from this. I am sure she didn't want this to happen and never in a million years imagined this would happen.

However, my heart breaks for the father and what he had to witness..................
If she had stayed with the group instead of......
She is lucky that the poor boy is a foreigner and not Malaysian.

I agree, filing a report to both the dive agency and the insurance agency (although insurance is not required in Malaysia, at least not 10 years ago) is the best thing to do. Reporting just facts without opinions.
Absolutely.
But the weakness of the kid would not be different if the instructor had not tried to reach an island. They all would have been found too late.

If she had stayed with the group instead of......
She is lucky that the poor boy is a foreigner and not Malaysian.

In hindsight, she should have stayed with the group given there was 14 yr old and an 18 year old in the group and only 1 male adult BUT, we simply do not know what actually transpired so its hard to really nail down who was at fault and what the circumstances were at the time.

I have no doubt she is beating herself up inside over her decisions but sometimes, unless you are in the situation yourself, its incredibly hard to understand the reasons why.

I try not to judge people until I have all the facts and even then, you need to keep a very open mind.

I agree, filing a report to both the dive agency and the insurance agency (although insurance is not required in Malaysia, at least not 10 years ago) is the best thing to do. Reporting just facts without opinions.

Absolutely.
But the weakness of the kid would not be different if the instructor had not tried to reach an island. They all would have been found too late.
Two persons are in a bit of bother: the boat captain was found to have taken meth through urine test and the instructor who swam away for whatever reason.
The authority is looking for easy scapegoat and both of them are dead meat.

Two persons are in a bit of bother: the boat captain was found to have taken meth through urine test and the instructor who swam away for whatever reason.
The authority is looking for easy scapegoat and both of them are dead meat.

You are jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts and reasons for the DM actions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom